George's Trains Expands!

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
As I drove by Railview Trains this morning, as I do every morning on my way to work, I saw two huge new "George's Trains" signs! I later phoned George's Trains and, sure enough, they have bought Railview.

This all makes sense and I think it's excellent. Railview was an excellent LHS and it's great that it can continue under George's umbrella. Very wise move on George's part too, I might add.

I used to spend some of my lunch hours over at Railview, and now I can continue to do that!

Rob

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Dave Flinn said:
As an occasional visitor to Toronto (once or twice a year), I have actually been to George's Trains. I had not even heard of Railview Trains, however. As a matter of curiosity, where is it located?

Hi Dave, from the City go north to the 401 go East to Warden go North on Warden to 14th ave turn left (West) to first traffic lights turn right and before the railway track turn right into the small strip mall.
You will see the shop .

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dave Flinn said:
As an occasional visitor to Toronto (once or twice a year), I have actually been to George's Trains. I had not even heard of Railview Trains, however. As a matter of curiosity, where is it located?

Hi Dave. Thanks for your note. Railview is/was located in the Markham area, near the village of Unionville (which is in Markham). It's near the intersection of Warden Avenue and Alden Road. I don't know its actual address but it's probably an Alden Rd. address.

It was a great shop but geared very much to the serious modeller -- no toys and almost totally just HO. Sadly, the previous owner died in November. He was a great guy and was always very helpful to me, answering my often basic questions. I learned a lot of practical model railway knowledge from him.

I hope that George's Trains can carry on this tradition.

Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
train1 said:
I hope they don't take their prices to the new location

Hmm, interesting comments about the prices.

I will admit that Dave's prices at Railview were usually the most reasonable. I've compared prices and Railview's were almost always the best.

However, I haven't found George's prices to be that high -- I can certainly think of one or two LHS's in the Toronto area where the prices are at least similar to Geroge's if not higher.

I'll still miss the comradery, advice and atmosphere of Dave's Railview store though.

Cheers, Rob

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Thanks to those who "located" Railview for me. Perhaps the next time I'm in Toronto, I can run out there, just to see what it's like. Sounds like it's a little farther out from center city than I usually get, but there's no reason I coudn't make the effort, especially to see if I might just find something that I can't live without <G>.

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
RobertInOntario said:
Hmm, interesting comments about the prices.

I will admit that Dave's prices at Railview were usually the most reasonable. I've compared prices and Railview's were almost always the best.

However, I haven't found George's prices to be that high -- I can certainly think of one or two LHS's in the Toronto area where the prices are at least similar to Geroge's if not higher.

I'll still miss the comradery, advice and atmosphere of Dave's Railview store though.

Cheers, Rob

I'll take George's prices over some others any day. One thing I like about Georges is they attend some of the less than local shows (Woodstock, Paris etc). Gives me a chance to shop there without actually going to TO.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dave Flinn said:
Thanks to those who "located" Railview for me. Perhaps the next time I'm in Toronto, I can run out there, just to see what it's like. Sounds like it's a little farther out from center city than I usually get, but there's no reason I coudn't make the effort, especially to see if I might just find something that I can't live without <G>.

Dave,

Interurban has given you good directions and it shouldn't take that long to get up to Railview (aka the new George's Trains location). If traffic is good on a weekend, it's only about 20 minutes up the 404. To give you an idea, I live in the central part of Toronto and work within walking distance of Railview. It typically takes me 30 to 40 minutes to drive there in the morning, when traffic is heavy.

Just FYI!

Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I couldn't resist one more comment, mainly to clarify why I started this thread.

First, I'm really sad that Dave passed away in Nov. and really miss him. But I'm also really pleased that his shop is not being closed down. I was hoping that maybe someone kind of like Dave might buy it and carry on his tradition. That would be my preferred outcome. But I think having George's take it over is the next best option.

It's also often hard for me to get to the main George's store on Mount Pleasant, so I'm just relieved that the store is continuing in some form. The new George's and Hornet Hobbies on O'Connor will offer me a lot of variety and a chance to compare prices.

Having a 'new' George's is better than having this LHS close down altogether!

Rob

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
RobertInOntario said:
Having a 'new' George's is better than having this LHS close down altogether!
Rob

Now that's the truth in a nutshell. You can't 'not like' any mortar and brick trainstore !!!
:thumb:

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's good news for Dave's family, and as Robert says, better than having the store close down completely. I was only at Railview once but Dave was a wonderful man, and his prices were the lowest in the GTA. George's is full retail and I don't imagine they will price things any differenly at their second location.

I got a great deal on a BLI Mikado from Dave. Now I wish I had bought more when I had the chance.

Val