George Washington Bridge Design

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Ron Caudillo, May 11, 2009.

1. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hi All,
    Well, I'm off and running on designing a model of the GW bridge for my boss.

Mike Hungerford (Thanks Mike!) pointed me to a Sketchup model that I was able to import into AutoCad. I created several layers for the various parts and gave each layer a different color so I can see the various parts of the model.

It has a LOT of work to be done, but it's a great start. Part of the problem working with a 3D model is that sometimes the faces extend past an intersection point and the intersecting line is not defined. When the terrain is built, I want to glue the foundation directly on top of it. I have to design the foundation with none of the portion that extends down past the terrain. The Sketchup model does not have this intersecting line identified.

I've got some screen captures to illustrate this. The first is an overall view of the AutoCad drawing so far. The second one is a closeup of the foundation on the New Yory side (minus the terrain. The third is a closeup of the tower on the New York side (minus the terrain). For example, the intersection between the foundation (in green) and the terrain (in dark blue) has no intersecting line on the Sketchup model.

I had to manually draw the intersecting lines on the Sketchup model and then import it (I ended up doing this SEVERAL times to get it right) into AutoCad. In the closeup of the foundation, you can see the magenta lines that now represent the intersection lines between the terrain and the foundation. I will simply trim away the portions of the foundation that is below the magenta lines. As an added bonus, I now have an outline that can be used on the terrain to show where to glue the foundation.

It's taken me all weekend to get this far. Lots more to do! I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards,

Attached Files:

2. Nice! I only crossed that bridge twice that I can remember. I seem to remember that it was a lot of steel framework and very rusty. I remember it just disappeared into the sky. Are you going to weather it or design her in her original glory?
  3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Looks great....

I miss NYC sooo much...little piece of home for my shelf..

Nice work Ron

John John
  4. Ron Caudillo

Since I'm on a time schedule to get this model out, I'll get as much detail in the model as possible in the time I have to get the finished project delivered. Factor in such things such as work, family, travel required by work, etc. and my time is indeed limited.

Applying realistic textures is not a gift I am blessed with (and I think those of you who can do this are AWESOME). Because of this, my models tend to look "right out of the factory". If I get permission from the guy who created the original Sketch-up model that this is based on, I will release it for public download. Chris Spitler (Professor Plastic) has graciously agreed to work with my designs and texture them. If I can release this one, I'll hand it to him to have a go with it to add weathering.

I realize that this design does not have a great "audience-appeal", but I took on this project more as a design challenge for me.

Lots more to do, most of the work right now isn't really noticeable just yet, so there may be a little bit between updates, I apologize for this.

Best Regards,
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Ron!

My first thought when I saw this thread was.......... "Wow...... it would be neat to have a model the CVN-63 bridge....... I wonder what scale he plans on doing it in?"

Then I clicked the thread and had a Homer Simpson moment......... DOH!!!sign1

Look forward to seeing your bridge model completed!

6. Now that was worth a good laugh. I haven't had many since they installed my bionic implant. (no---really--I am the bionic modeler and a product of what a few years back would have been pure science fiction)

But I digress, funny moment indeed. lol
  7. gleasure

gleasure Member

Any progress/updates?
  8. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

9. Ron Caudillo

Sorry guys,
    I had a drive failure that I had to recover from. I had everything backed up on an external drive, but unfortunately, the bridge model file was a pretty early version. So I'm having to redo a lot of what had been accomplished. Well, it's better that losing it altogether!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo