Genesis Hoppers

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by pets4u2, Jun 18, 2004.

1. pets4u2

pets4u2 New Member

I have been having some problems with the Trinity hopper couplers and wanted to see if there might be something I can do to help stop the uncoupling problems. The problem seems to be when you have a long train with a lot of cars behind the Genesis cars and slow down the weight must cause the coupler to lock open. Being that kadee couplers won't drop in I can't easily change them to kadee without major modifications I am looking for a better fix. I could make sure they are always in the back, but after spending that much money on them they should perform at least as good as my $5.00 kits and not need to be relegated to the rear of the train! I have only run these cars a few times (maybe seven or eight times around the club layout) with the problem starting the last three or four outings.

Please help!!

2. brakie

brakie Active Member

Well,You can use a KD coupler.. :D It took me hours of thinking and had to think out side of the box to find the solution..First.Notice the Torsion spring and how its is mounted.I simply use the Torsion spring and the coupler.You see the coupler is a #5 that uses a Torsion spring and it fits into the Geneses coupler box. Now this may seem weird but that is what I came up with as a working coupler.This is a KD #38 coupler.

Attached Files:

3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm afraid you have no choice but to find a way to use KDs. The plastic knuckle springs used in the other brands of couplers just aren't strong enough to hold the coupler knuckles closed under a heavy pull.
  4. mykroft

mykroft Member

You may be able to get away with Bachman EZ-Mate MK II's. They have metal springs, as do certain McHenry's.

IIRC Athearn uses the plastic spring EZ-Mates, so the metal spring ones should drop in.
  5. brakie

brakie Active Member

If you are going that route then the McHenery's with the knuckle spring like KDs should work just as well
  6. pets4u2

pets4u2 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I picked up some #38 KDs at lunch time and am going to see if I can make them work.