Generic N Scale Blue print

mdfmkl

Aug 13, 2008
Does anyone know where to find a N Scale blueprint of a single train? I wanted to try and create my own train and having some sort of generic blue print to work off of would save some time in creating my own blueprint.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I'm not sure what you are actually looking for.

Most of the model railroading magazines used (some still do, but not Model Railroader) to publish scale plans of locomotives, cars, and buildings. Some books on prototypes also publish these scale plans. Very few plans for trains would be drawn in N scale because of the loss of detail and room for annotating dimensions.

Plans drawn in other scales are easily converted to N. You can use precentages in copiers to reduce the plan to N scale. Or you can simply measure a dimension on a plan using a scale ruler for the scale the plan is drawn in. Note the prototype dimension, then measure your material with the N scale line on the same scale ruler. Almost all scale rulers have mulitple scales on them, including N and HO.

hope this helps

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Books with plans for locos and rolling stock are available from major LHS's such as the Cabbose in Denver. You can also usually do your research right on site at any decent railroad museum. I know this can be done at the one in Boulder, which has a fully staffed research library on the premises. You could probably contact them by phone or e-mail as an alternative.