General questions

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Willja67, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Hey folks I'm working on a super corsair model that I one day hope to sell. I'm working on making it fairly detailed. When it's done I hope that it will compare favorably with level of detail displayed in the P-51 Mustang currently being displayed on the home page. Sorry there are no pictures to show, but I'm technologically challenged and haven't been able to upload them to the site yet.

I'm wondering wether there is a market for such a model. If there isn't I'm going to keep working on it anyway but I'd like to know. I haven't decide on a scale yet. Currently It's 1/36 (the plans were 1/72 that I doubled the scale on) I'm more used to 1/32 but if I get good convincing arguments I'll go 1/33.

I also have a question regarding software. I just bought corel draw12, but as it's the student version and doesn't come with a manual I'm wondering if anyone knows a better alternative to the 30 dollar manual. By the way I'm a total novice at corel draw.

So three questions: Would anyone buy it :?: , What scale :?: ,and How do I best learn to use Corel Draw12 :?:

And one more that I just thought of: Does Dr. Zarkov's Surfmaster work on lite versions of autocad :?:

2. dk

dk New Member

Hi there,
    I am sure someone woudl buy it. People buy plastic models all the time. You can try selling it in one of the plastic models stores.
    WIth respect to corel draw, I learned it reading manual in a book store. I had to make a web site but did not have money to buy a manual, so I spent a couple of nights in Chapters, this is canadiana version of Barns and Nobles and just read the manual.
    Also I am sure, if you have Emule software, you can find a lot of free manuals on the internet.
    Regarding Zarkov's Surfmaster, it has a manual that you can download for free and it tells you whic versions of Autocad it works with.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I agree with borrow from a movie.........if you design it (good) people will buy! Evereyone here LOVES building well designed models. I know I! When you can, put some pictures out and show it off.

On the scale size...........personally I like the larger 1/32 or 1/33 scale models. I really don't think there is much differnce between these two.

I have bought and built alot of 1/50 scale models.........but for me between a 1/50 or a 1/33 scale model......... the larger scale will get my money.
  4. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

scale: at least 1/50 ( 1/48 ) better 1/32
    buy: if details are good (wheel wells, engine, cockpit, flaps, service openings)

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

I would first take a survey to find out how many F4U variants are offered on the market. You'll find that this is already a popular subject. Thought processes will lead to two conclusions, one, the field is crowded and competition intense, and two, offering a special variant is key to obtaining some market share. Balancing this thought is the need to satisfy the creative requirements of a discerning modeler as the average modeler probably will not be interested in an esoteric corner of this subjects history. It's my belief that modelers like to show lots of detail but in such a way that would literally come out of a picture of the subject in a real world situation. An instance that you might look into is that of the catapult launched sea planes of the 1930-45 period. They have a lot of detail both externally and internally that can be shown without "pulling off all the panels" with canopies that open to show all the cockpit detail. Tempering initial impulses with the cool calculation of a business decision is difficult but generally pays off in the long term.

I write this as you're about to devote a considerable amount of time to this subject and we would all like to see you succeed and therefore have an interest in helping you make an informed decision to better insure the eventual success of the efforts.

6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I appreciate the replies that have been posted thus far. As near as I can determine there are very few plastic models of the F2G and I don't think that I've ever seen a listing for a paper one. If any of you are interested in finding out more about the F2G corsair there is an excellent article posted by Rodney Williams on his plastic F2G models on Most of you probably already know about this site but it is an excellent source of info for model builders. It's geared toward those who build plastic models but the articles generally contain plenty of historic and technical info about most any aircraft you would want to model.

As for my model I'm guessing that I'm about 80% done with the autocad portion of the design. I'm just starting to detail the engine, cockpit, landing gear, and control surfaces. I've pretty much decided on applying the markings of race #74 which won the Thompson Trophy at the Cleveland air races in 1947, but I might do another if there is enough interest.

The F2G is an awesome airplane. Whenever it's been seriously raced and stayed free of mechanical diffiulties it's dominated. Shortly after WWII when there were several of them racing they swept the field, soundly beating mustangs and bearcats for several years running. In any case I think it's a plane that deserves more recognition than it gets. I'll try and get some pictures posted soon. Thanks again for the replies
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

F2G would make a great choice, I don't think it has been done although as the others say, there are several other renditions of the various operational versions.

1:33 is a 'standard' paper model scale, but I prefer 1:32; 1:33 just feels 'dinky' to me! Maybe prepare the parts to the larger size , but just give the appropriate scale factor to print at, to give 1:33 if the customer prefered it that way. If 100% gives 32nd, printing at 97% should give 1:33 scale, for example. The denizens of this forum are forever fiddling with print scales, so don't be surprised if on guy makes your model at 1:16, and another fills a 1:100 carrier flight deck with them!

Looking forward to seeing progress with this project, any questions on Coreldraw, etc, just ask. Someone (or 20!) will chuck in their 2-cents....

Tim P

8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This is in the thread of the "General questions" topic that I originally posted. I want to post pictures to this website and my brother has a pretty nice nikon digital camera that I tried to use but the pictures were too big pixel wise I think. My brother said he had it set on the second to the lowest resolution the camera offered. So would it maybe work if I used the lowest resolution? Or would I have to crop the picture? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm itching to show off my work.
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You should resize the pictures to about 600 pixels wide, and save them as jpeg files, adjusting the compression to give a balance between file size and picture quality.

You will need a bitmap editting piece of software, Windows comes with 'Paint' which will do at a pinch, or Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc. There are lots of image handling programs available which will do this sort of thing.

I would have thought your Nikon will have come with some software to do this sort of thing, so check the instalation disc and manuals.
    Given the quality of Nikon lenses, I'd stick with taking the pictures at maximum resolution, save them, then work on copies to get suitable sized pictures for other purposes.

Hope this helps,

Tim P
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

wunwinglow has given some good advice, especially about working with a copy of the original. Rename the copy you are working so the original won't be altered when you save the final image that you want to upload.

It would be a good idea to go ahead and crop the pictures anyway to remove some of the uneeded background. That would leave the main focus on the object that you want to show. When you resize the picture to 600 pixels width make sure that you maintain the aspect ratio. Most imaging editing software has a box to check for this. It is important to use that feature so there is no distortion. If there is no feature to do this you will have to use some simple math to figure out the percent reduction of both the width and height. Example: a 1200x800 image would be a 50% reduction so it will be 600x400.