Gemini VII

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by dhanners, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Hey all--
    It's been awhile since I've posted anything (work, life, you know how it goes...) but I've stuck some photos of my latest, Gemini VII, in my personal album (dhanners).

The model is in 1/24th scale and was built from the Delta 7 Studios kit, but with several modifications to add detail and accuracy and strength. It is entirely card except for the gold mylar foil and gold-colored aluminum foil I used for the covering of the rear.

The details:
    Nose -- Detail for the radar and UHF antennas, cabling and panels were added to the nose to make it three-dimensional. Card was used, except for the gold-colored circle (I guess it is some antenna?) which is gold foil.

Capsule -- The raised portions adjacent to the hinge-line sills of the hatches (I have no idea what the raised portions are called, or what they are for, but you can see them in reference photos) were added from additional card stock. The window insets were altered to make construction easier. Thin strips of wood cut from coffee stirring sticks were glued to the inner surface of the capsule to provide additional strength and insure the surface was straight. Disks cut from heavy card were glued to the front and the back of the crew compartment to provide added strength and to insure the capsule maintained circular cross-sections fore to aft.

Retro/Equipment Section Modules -- Additional raised panel detail was added, as per reference photos. The raised circumferential bands at the front and rear of the modules were added with thin strips of white and gray card, while sections cut from extra printouts of the stock Delta 7 Studios pieces were used for the circumferential band that separates the Retro and Equipment Section modules. The pop-up experiments, included on the "Project Gemini" CD, were added. The profile of the top and bottom thrusters were shortened to make them more accurate. The red strap fairings were scratchbuilt with additional detail. The rear thrusters were scratchbuilt and additional detail -- in the form of inset boxes -- was added to the rear. Gold Mylar from a helium balloon was used to replicate the thermal blanketing that covers the rear of the Equipment Section. Thin strips of gold BareMetal Foil were used to represent the covering between the sections of Mylar. The "floating" pieces of thermal blanketing, which were strips torn free when the Gemini spacecraft separated from the upper stage of the Titan II rocket, were made by laying a piece of double-sided tape on the backside of a piece of gold foil from a candy wrapper, then folding the foil over onto itself, producing a piece that has two gold sides. The piece was then cut into thin strips, twisted and shaped (the tape helps them keep their shape) and affixed to the rear thermal blankets with thin strips of tape.

David Hanners
    Minneapolis, MN
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

David, that's an extraordinary build! :D

I always loved the Gemini spacecraft, grew up when it was the current space mission, actually, and your build has captured it in an incredibly realistic fashion. I like the effect of the gold mylar strips, really gives one the impression of the craft in space.

Great photos too!