Geep scrapping

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Glen Haasdyk, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

A month or so ago I requested pictures of engines being scrapped. Surprising enough there's one right in my own back yard. This is an ex- Kansas cental GP-10 that a local scrap metals dealer is ripping apart (slowly)These pictures were taken at the end of January

These were taken just last week
    You can see buckets placed over the exhaust to keep rain water from getting into the deisel engine
    Finally the loading area for the gondolas using an excavator with a magnet.
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It is always sad to see the end of a loco that has served well over the years. Who knows what it will come back as.
  3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Poor Locomotive :cry: :cry: :cry:
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Ohhhh, look at that. As a confirmed Geep fan these are hard to view. I once saw a photo of a PA in a scrap yard that had the grafitti inscription "So long my fren". It seems apt in this case as well. One thing though, were I to have seen such a sight I'd be asking if they'd sell me some or all of the control stand. I'd love to have the throttle handle or more to possibly create a working control stand with another power pack on my layout.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, I've bookmarked it for a future if I need another project.
  6. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Sorry, acorrding to another modeler in my club who climbed all over the poor fellw before it's long hood was remove the control stand, number boards and every data plate had been removed already.
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

8. CN1

CN1 Active Member

9. shortliner

shortliner Member

Glen, have you done a search on Google for "Larry's Truck and Electric" ? it should also come up with a listing for images scattered elsewhere on the internet. Also a look on Carl's Micro layout site for "riptrack" and Garry's Truck and Electric, which are suggestions for modelling a "scrappy" facility
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands