GeeBee R1 Racer, 1:33, Rafal Ciesielski

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Tailwheel mounted, and on to the part I've been dreading the most, with good reason as it turns out. Canopy! @#$%!**&! (Said a lot of those tonight). From this distance it looks OK, but close up it's pretty much a disaster. In the future I'll be avoiding scratch-built canopies whenever I get the chance!

Attachments

• Canopy-Sm.jpg
    Canopy-Sm.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 343

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
The next part is a bit tricky - the cowl support ring. It's tough because of all the thin sections that must be cut from 1mm thick laminate. To make it easier I first cut out the center and sections and then liberally coated the thing with thin CA to strengthen it before cutting out the final outside. Finally painted the whole thing flat gray.

Attachments

• CowlSupport-Sm.jpg
    CowlSupport-Sm.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 344

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
GeeBee R-1 Racer Finished

Beautiful work, Rick!

You really got a nice 'shiny' metal look on this one - did you spray the sheets with a glossy fixative or did you print on glossy paper?

I especially admire the work you did on the wheels with the Dremel - very nicely done!

Keep up the good work,
Bengt :grin:

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Thanks Bengt!

Actually, I waited until it was almost done (prior to putting on the rigging) and sprayed the whole thing with Krylon gloss finish.

Rick

Bengt Fredén said:
Beautiful work, Rick!

You really got a nice 'shiny' metal look on this one - did you spray the sheets with a glossy fixative or did you print on glossy paper?

I especially admire the work you did on the wheels with the Dremel - very nicely done!

Keep up the good work,
Bengt :grin:

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Granville Bros. GeeBee Racers

Hi all,

What an extreme racer airplane this was back in the early 30s - the biggest possible and most powerful WASP engine with an excuse for the thinnest wings mounted directly to it and the pilot inside the horizontal stabilizer.

No wonder they crashed all the time . . .

But it set a new speed record in 1932.
Bengt :roll:

PS. (edited in): Here´s the history of the Granville Brother´s racers, on Fiddlersgreen´s info page: http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/GeeBee-Racer/info/info.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.