GeeBee R1 Racer, 1:33, Rafal Ciesielski

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cgutzmer

That is looking great! I must have a different defdintion of edge fuzzy thank you cause I dont see squat either ;)
Chris

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
You know I think I was looking at the full size pic before I cut it down.

It's a funny thing - you look at the thing with the naked eye and it looks fine, then you take macro mode pics and all the ugly bits jump out!

I think the moral of the story is to not take pictures! :grin:

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Wings!

Tonight we start the wings. This is a picture of the laminated rib parts and the bits that roll up to form spars. These are marked as S1 and S2 on the parts sheet, but are called out as B1 and B2 on the instructions.

Attachments

• Wing01-Sm.jpg
    Wing01-Sm.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 277

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Rolling the spar on 1mm wire. I never get these as tight as I'd like, but they are tight enough. Good thing they don't have to look good as they'll be hidden!

I would strongly recommend wetting the card a little bit with a paint brush before rolling. You could also use a bit lighter stuff here if you've got it.

Attachments

• Wing02-Sm.jpg
    Wing02-Sm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 281

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Michaels craft store. It's floral stem wire. They've got 20ga and 18 ga in packs of 20 18" lengths for less than $2 a pack. The 18ga is very close to 1mm.

Rick

Amazyah said:
Looking good!

I noticed your in my neck of the woods. Where do you get your wire from?

Russell

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Continuing on with the wings, here we glue the spar/rib structures to the lower half. Note that the upper wing surface is shorter than the lower, so we have to make sure the root rib is placed such that it gets covered by the upper surface. If you don't do this, the wing won't snug up close enough to the fuselage. The fellow on Kartonmodell forum seems to have been bitten by this one and so the fairings didn't fit quite right.

Attachments

• Wing04-Sm.jpg
    Wing04-Sm.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 263

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Completed wings, if you can call them wings. Don't know how this plane stayed in the air!

The designer did a nice shading job on the ailerons, the almost look like separate parts!

Attachments

• Wing05-Sm.jpg
    Wing05-Sm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 325

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Wings glued on. I used CA to join them to the spar wires and then put some white glue fillets on the joints. This is a very strong structure, and correctly angled if you get the initial wire bends correct.

Attachments

• Wing06-Sm.jpg
    Wing06-Sm.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 267

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Amazyah said:
I don't see how you could land one of these babies without wrecking either.
The fuselage was so huge, how could the pilot see without hanging out of the cockpit?

It sure is a beautiful plane though, and your doing a great job too!

Russell
I suppose it can;tbe any worse then a modern day aerobatic plane where the pilot is a long way back and more or less lying down, I have noticed when they taxi out the zig zag to see where they are going but I don't know how they land them:confused:

cardmodeler

Dec 27, 2005
Tennessee
This is such a cool model! It reminds me of the movie, "The Rocketeer." The hero of the story flew a Gee Bee in the beginning of the film, but it was yellow and black, if I remember correctly. I have the kit on order(backorder unfortunately:( ) and am anxious now to give it a go.

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Do you mean this particular version? It's a free download if you are not wanting to wait for pre-printed.

cardmodeler said:
This is such a cool model! It reminds me of the movie, "The Rocketeer." The hero of the story flew a Gee Bee in the beginning of the film, but it was yellow and black, if I remember correctly. I have the kit on order(backorder unfortunately:( ) and am anxious now to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.