GeeBee R1 Racer, 1:33, Rafal Ciesielski

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlwhitt

The completed rolled up part. As you see, there are card shoulders to glue the propeller blades to. This is why I don't see why the wire was needed, unless it was just to support the card being rolled, but it seems that would be strong enough on its own...

Attachments

• Prop-Step3-Sm.jpg
    Prop-Step3-Sm.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 474

rlwhitt

The font hub is rolled from part 23c, but it is pretty plain and squared ended as is. I sanded the part that meets the blade holders in a concave by wrapping sandpaper around a dowel and sanding it. As for the rounded front end, I tried a technique I've seen for sanding wheels. I glued the hub to the propeller shaft with CA and chucked the whole thing up into a low speed, battery operated dremel tool. Turn it on and sand with an improvised sanding block

Attachments

• Prop-Step4-Sm.jpg
    Prop-Step4-Sm.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 473

rlwhitt

That turned out OK, not perfect, but then I did not have the thing centered perfectly.

Attachments

• Prop-Step5-Sm.jpg
    Prop-Step5-Sm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 480

rlwhitt

Here's the completed hub and shaft parts. Since they've had a bunch of sanding, they will need to be painted.

Attachments

• Prop-Step6-Sm.jpg
    Prop-Step6-Sm.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 475
C

cgutzmer

I am sensing yet another excellent built on cardmodels! Gorgeous job on that engine!
Chris

rlwhitt

It would not be eligible if the final shot shows up here first? Serious, or just kidding? Seriously, I thought I'd better clarify that!

Bowdenja said:
Hey Rick..................

FREE Model..................

Fantastic building thread...............

If you wait and enter it in the Free Model Contest BEFORE showing a completed picture in your thread................ it would be a nice entry.......:grin:

Lots of nice prizes!

john

Bowdenja

Wow............. my post are acutally read:grin:

Naw Rick............... I was just pulling your chain........... this is one great plane, building thread and model.

I for one am keeping up with the thread and will be honored if you enter it in the competition.

THIS IS exactly the reason behind the competition, showing a great build of a great free internet model!

john

milenio3

The contest is getting difficult, guys!

This for one looks like a real great participant! Double take> great built, great step-by-step.

rlwhitt

Thanks for all the kind words guys! cardmodeler, thanks for that link to Kardmodelle, I had not even looked over there. I think a few of his pics will help.

Rick

rlwhitt

Moving along now to finish the propeller. After trying to assemble a blade with the 2 parts as given, I was never satisfied with my efforts. In an attempt to simplify things, I edited the parts PDF and created a page with a modified part. I merely slid one blade part into the other, thus creating one part, which I then partially scored for folding only on that part of the blade that would become the flat part:

Attachments

• Revised-Blades-Sm.jpg
    Revised-Blades-Sm.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 374

rlwhitt

Here's a revised blade part being curved at the bottom. Once glued together, I got the sooth transition I was looking for from root to flat blade.

Attachments

• Curved-Blade-Sm.jpg
    Curved-Blade-Sm.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 417

rlwhitt

And the finished prop, modeled with the engine. BTW, this prop will be able to rotate, as it has good support front and back in the crankcase, as long as you keep the holes pretty tight. It is easy to remove and put back later once everything is assembled.

Attachments

• Finished-Prop-Sm.jpg
    Finished-Prop-Sm.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 410

rlwhitt

Fast forwarding a bit back to the cockpit, which now has had it's sides folded up and the 2 formers and glueing strips that enclose it put on.

Note in the pic the 2 arrows. I had to cut the former here and glue the instrument panel on separately from the rest of the former. I really don't know how it would fit otherwise. I noticed the guy on the Kartonmodell thread had to do the same.

The place at the red circle shows where I went ahead and trimmed the glue tabs off that won't be needed. I figured they'd be a lot easier to cut now than along with the cockpit opening later.

Attachments

• Cockpit-Formers-Sm.jpg
    Cockpit-Formers-Sm.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 410
Great work on the Gee Bee! I love these construction threads! Seeing a model come together like this is a real inspiration for me. It really helps to keep my papermodelling interest level up. Thanks for sharing your stuff!

swiftsword

rlwhitt said:
And the finished prop, modeled with the engine. BTW, this prop will be able to rotate, as it has good support front and back in the crankcase, as long as you keep the holes pretty tight. It is easy to remove and put back later once everything is assembled.

You might want to harden the edges of the holes with Future or crazy glue - I'm sure otherwise they'll wear out over time.

Cheers,

Oliver

rlwhitt

Thanks! I thought about that and wondered if it'd make them too "slick" and easier to fall out? But you're right about potential for wear.

swiftsword said:
You might want to harden the edges of the holes with Future or crazy glue - I'm sure otherwise they'll wear out over time.

Cheers,

Oliver

rlwhitt

OK, time to start skinning that fuselage! I thought about putting the skin on the cockpit formers and working out from that as I've seen so many do. So I dry fit the skin and it seemed too small. What had I done wrong? I'm not sure if it's really too small or just a tight fit and it needs pulling hard. Or maybe I got the front former too big (it was a tight fit around the cockpit).

I decided I'd rather not worry about it here and possibly make a mistake that would ripple through the rest of it, so I bailed and started at the nose. Straightforward former and cone stuff here.

Attachments

• Body01-Sm.jpg
    Body01-Sm.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 339

rlwhitt

Dang! Now I realize why many build threads only have one picture per post. I tried to put multiple ones on that last post and it just made a list. I like them to display in line, so I guess I'll play the multi-post game.

Here is the first 3 sections of the nose.

Attachments

• Body05-Sm.jpg
    Body05-Sm.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 334

rlwhitt

Up till now, I've followed the sequence of 1. Form cone, 2. glue in tab strip, and 3. insert former.

I got to the 4th section and it is more or less straight with strips on both sides so I rolled the glue strips around the formers first.

Attachments

• Body06-Sm.jpg
    Body06-Sm.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 336

rlwhitt

And then roll on the skin. Notice The pre-drilled holes for wing spar wires and rigging thread.

Attachments

• Body07-Sm.jpg
    Body07-Sm.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 269
Status
Not open for further replies.