gearing

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by myrccar, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myrccar

myrccar New Member

Does anyone know if it matters if the size of pinion and spur are bigger or smaller as long as the gear ratio is the same?
    (smaller,less rotating mass?)
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Good question.
    It really wouldnt matter unless you are into racing and every little edge counted. But taking into consideration (racing purposes) ever gram that you can drop will give you an edge. You are right less rotating mass, but that means a faster accel and slightly lower performance for uphills. My recomdation is weigh both sets of gears and see the weight difference. Make you decision based on that because the performance gain will be negligable on the track. But there are minimum weight requirements so make sure you meet them.
  3. timrock

timrock Active Member

you woldnt need to take into consideration about rotating mass of those gears.they are too light.
    gear ratio the same?same as what?
  4. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

like a 12T clutch and a 52T spur AND a 10T clutch and a 43T spur. They both come out to the same gear ratio.

And that comming from the guy that says its all in the gearing.
  5. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

oh by the way its a 4.3 to 1 ratio
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

right that would be about the same ratio 4.3 to one but he is talking about electric.these gears are much lighter than what you are talking about.even with the nitro gears i wouldnt be so concerend with rotating mass unless you wanted that ratio and dont already have either the clutch bell nor the spur.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

i asked same as what meaning what he already has.i wouldn`t recommend buying a spur and pinion to equall a ratio that you already have just because you you can find somthing smaller.that would be stupid.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

also i take it as if rockin82 is putting words in my mouth.just for the record,i never said `it is all in the gearing`however,gearing is a crucial factor.
  9. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

"also,i could get your RS4 going well over 100mph,easily, just from a change in drive gear ratio."
    "64.5 mph? you equate that with the size of your motor?it doesnt work like that."

This really isnt putting words into you mouth when they come from your mouth. I was simply paraphrasing.

Taken From page 5 of "anyone need help with something" in the onroad forum.
    Also are you making four posts at a time just to see your number of posts go up or what?
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

puttin words in my mouth by say that is coming from a guy that says ` it is all in the gearing`.
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

also,you said `it has nothing to do with hores power` wich it most certinly does.
  12. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Horsepower is irrelavent when considering top speed Look it up on the net. Its out there.

Although yes horsepower has a direct relationship between torque. You can vary torque and keep the same amount of horsepower you are just rearranging the power band. Lets take a gas and a diesel engine into account. A car with 180 horses will have (estimated) around 160 to 200 ft/lbs of torque. A diesel with 180 horses can have a considerably higher output of torque
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

i dont need to look up on the net what horespower is.i know what it is.just seems you do not.
    and you are saying a car with 180 horses will have around 160 to 200 ft.lbs of torque.from where?the fly wheel or the drive wheel.it depends on how it is set up.and a diesel can have more torque?that also depends on alot.
    either stop talking out of your#@$%or dont mention my name or talk to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.