Geared Lokeys

jmarksbery

:wave: Perhaps someone (Shamus?) could build one of these for their logging line! I got 8 pics to follow. Enjoy

Attachments

• advert_engineering_news.jpg
    advert_engineering_news.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 188

jmarksbery

:cool: Or just maybe this duel boiler chain wilson is the more to your liken

Attachments

• chan_wilson_sawmill-rr-in-woods.jpg
    chan_wilson_sawmill-rr-in-woods.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 188

jmarksbery

:rolleyes: This is the last one, but ain't it cute, this is a sowell

Attachments

• c_l_sowell_n_co-hercules.jpg
    c_l_sowell_n_co-hercules.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 183

AIGI

I doubt the sowell could ever make it to model form, those chains would be a killer and the wheels are non-traditional double flanges, but it is cute!

Sowell Engine

Wow those are great!!!
Now i have one of those modelers itches and cant seem to subdue it.
After looking at the Sowell and hearing that they dont think anyone could do it I am wondering...
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make one of the sowells?
Especially on how to gear it to make it run?

Now this is probably not buildable but with a plastic gaurd over the chains it might work???

Might anyone by chance have the dimensions of a similar engine or something?

Eric

Do you guys think that one could build the Sowell from these?
aac.thumb.jpg

and
aab.thumb.jpg

All metal frame so it could take some altering and still hold up.
Eric

jon-monon

I was planning to build the Buyers as soon as I get a hold of a mechy with a 3' wheelbase (ya right!) ~or~ get some mini machine tools so I can make whatever mechanicle parts I need. Still negotiating on the latter :D :D :D

On the Sowell, here's what me would try to get an approximation, based on the photo. I'd call it a freelance, but you should be able to get it close enough to fool the amatures.

1st, I would obtain a diesel mechanism. You need something with 2 axles that are far apart, and preferable a low profile. You may luck into a power truck out of an 8 axle diesel, but the ones I 've seen have a high profile (i.e. bachmann). You could also opt to dump about $100 and buy a power truck. The purchased truck might be avaialble in the proper wheelbase for an accurate model. Ruling out these options leaves what I see as teh most practicle option. Get a mechy out of a 2 axle diesel industrial loco. My first choice would be an AHM Plymouth MDT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19129&item=5900708277&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I would choose this one because it has 4 wheel pickup/4 wheels powered, and they last forever. $10 to $15 on e-bay. Also made by Tyco and others. (As a plymouth, BTW, this is the only accurate model I've seen. It's main fault is that it is standard gauge HO and the suspension is shown outside the wheels, which is typical for NG Plymouths).

2nd choice would be the Model Power DDT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=484&item=5900858986&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

These are reliable enough, and might even run just a hair smoother, but they only have two wheel power, limiting what they can pull (pulling power is the whole point of a geared loco, non? :D ). $5 to $10 on e-bay, or buy new. (As a model, these are no where near scale. A DDT is considerably smaller than an MDT, but this model is considerably larger than the AHM MDT. They are closer to S or O scale, if fact, some folks run these as On30 right out of the box.)

Bachmann also makes a plymouth in HO and N (Hmmmm HOn30 project :D ), but I have never seen one in person. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19132&item=5901512327&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW The HO version, at least, has 6 wheels, so you would have to consider feasability of removing the center axle.

Next, I would attempt to remove some of the frame that extends outboard of the axles, to get a proportion close to that in the photo.

After that, attempt to remove the side frames outside the wheels, hopefully leaving and intact an usable mechy :D I wouldn't worry about the flanges. I believe most of the loco's offered to run on log rails were also available with standard flanges to run on steel rail. Besides, you'd need a heck of a power pack to get power through wooden log rails to teh lokey :D :D :D

If it still works after that, I would add the chains, but as dummies. I see two modelers here, one happily running his model around on his layout with dummy chains, the other in a rubber room drooling and mumbling about functional chains :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D I would also place the chains inboard of drivers. This will help hide the fact that they don't move, and make it a heck of a lot easier to model, as the sproket (think watch gears) could be secured to the frame.

Then the easy part, you can scratch build or kitbash the boiler, cab and details. You could probably use many parts, boiler etc., from the lokey you have posted.

There may be better options out there. A brill trolley? An Athern hustler with earnst gears would be nice if not for high profile and the sideframes containing axle bearings. If you are going to pursue this using an MDT, I would be happy to have a closer look at one of mine and give you an opinion on the feasibility of removing the sideframes.

Have fun!!!

shamus

Registered Member
Wow Jim, those are great photo's and yes I might be tempted to make the top photo sometime. :thumb: looks real cute. :wave: :cool:

Shamus