geared locos (& others)

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
I KNOW that these have been probably been discussed many times on here, but I am doing research (still) and am probably being lazy. I'm kinda hoping enough people will give me answers so I won't have to look too hard :D

I am looking at creating a couple of different layoputs, one being a bush train set-up with geared locos, and the other a colliery line.

The 3 types of geared locos used down here, were Climax, Shay and Heisler.
I am assuming that each of these are indeed different manufactured locos.
My first question on this subject is, are there models available (HO - and I am aware of the Bachmann Shay) and in people's opinions, which are the best?

Also, does anyone know of any of the following locos and/or their availability :
Barclay 0-6-2T
Benoni 4-6-2 tank engine
Peckett (??)
Baldwin type class Ww 4-6-4T

ANY advice or comments would be much appreciated.
Bruce :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bob,
The 2 truck Shay and Climax are available either in kit form or made up ready to run from MDC (Roundhouse) also you know about the 3 truck shay from Bachmann. The Heisler is still available from Rivarossi. If you get hold a kit 2 truck shay, I can help you put it together and run very well indeed having made 5 of these for myself.

Have fun.

Shamus

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bruce
does your question suggest that you can't tell Shay, Climax and Heisler apart?
They were different maufacturers and the loco designs were distinctive.
Shay had the offset boiler and 3 vertcal cylinders on the rigt side.
Climax had cylinders inclined at 45 degrees or so, each side.
Heisler had a V-2 cylinder style, pointing out like mortars and joined to a shaft underneath the boiler.

I just turned over my calendar today and there were Hillcrest Climaxes 9 and 10.

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
Shamus
Thanks for the tips. I will get a 2 car Shay kit and take you up on your offer, as soon as I can save the million dollars NZ it will take to buy one!
The 2 car undecorated one shown on the MDC site is exactly what I am looking for.
Will get back to you.

Rory
Thanks for the sites mate. I am still very much in the research mode for these layouts and the more detail on the locos I get all helps (as I'm sure you know well)

David
I was aware that they were different locos, but Baldwin were making a 'climax' as well and at this stage of my research it was a little difficult to be sure.
But you are right in that up to about 24 hours ago, I wasn't completely conversant with all the EXACT detailed differences between them.
I also learnt many years ago, that when dealing in an area that you are unsure of your facts, the more ignorance you show, the more you learn. (i.e. the dumber the question, the easier the answer...)
Thanks very much for your help.:)

Bruce

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bruce,
I'm going to take a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) that a "bush train" is a lumber railroad.
I went through all the reference material I have, and could find no mention of any of the locos you listed. I have a lot of material, but it is primarily concerned with U.S. railways, and the stateside products of the locomotive manufacturers.
Pete

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
Pete
yes you are quite correct. But down here, we refer to our forests as "the bush" - and in many cases, it literally is quite that.
We do have very large forests (the Kaingaroa for instance is the largest man-made forest in the world - or it was..), but the Bush Tramways were mostly created from the turn of the century for the felling and clearing of native forests.
Only a small few of them still operate and they are mostly in pretty hard to reach places but many of the locos (and some of the lines)have been restored and are used by private railways for tourism etc.
A couple of the locos I listed were US manufactured, but most were from the UK.
But I appreciate you looking through your files for me anyway.
Cheers
Bruce

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
In case anyone is interested in a couple of the locos I mentioned before that I was looking for, I just received these pics from a mate so you can see what they are like.

Attachments

• barclay 0-6-2t - 1.jpg
    barclay 0-6-2t - 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 73

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
In case anyone is interested in a couple of the locos I mentioned before that I was looking for, I just received these pics from a mate so you can see what they are like.
This first one is Barclay 0-6-2T model which is from a Scottish company called "Backwoods Miniatures"

Attachments

• barclay 0-6-2t - 1.jpg
    barclay 0-6-2t - 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 73

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
and this is a Peckett 0-6-0T which was used in many of the colliery lines here.
I have no idea if a model of this is even available, but if so it will only be a UK one for sure...

Attachments

• peckett 0-6-0t.jpg
    peckett 0-6-0t.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 71

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bruce, I'm glad you chose the Shay for motive power, it's the most aestheticaly pleasing of the lot you mentioned in your first post. Lima works shipped these creatures all over the world so it would not be unusual to find one in NZ.

The MDC kit might seem a little daunting on first seeing the exploded diagrams in their manual but if you read and reread the text it becomes very clear. Shamus will keep you right on the "tricky" aspects of construction. Between Shamus and the hints in the manual I'm sure you'll finish up with a gem of a loco you will treasure. It's worth every penny of it's cost.

0-6-0's for colieries are available in UK but there's two problems! ...one is cost as they would tend to be brass, the other is if you bought a stock British 0-6-0 it would be 00 gauge (ie 4mm to the foot running on HO track) so they look a little odd with the wheels tucked further in underneath for such a large body. Anyway, it's a personal thing.

BTW, does this mean you will have to cut back on beer till you've saved enough for the kit?? :) :) Modellling is tough huh? :)

Go for it friend!

Errol

bobrien

Feb 15, 2002
Waiuku,New Zealand
Visit site
Hey Errol
Thanks for the tips. I had discovered some of the UK stuff, but as you say, in brass and small gauge which won't be of value for me.
As for the prices, well being half Scots, it is bloody hard to justify expenditure on ANYTHING, but I guess given that this whole thing has become something of a real obsession (sound familiar?) who cares about the cost ?;)

As for the Shays, these were dotted all over the country and used quite a lot. Seems to have been mostly them, Climax 1650 and a few Heislers. It is the coal company locos that will be the toughest to get for sure...
I am not really too daunted by the kit building procedure as I consider it to be just another new aspect to this whole adventure and actually look forward to it.

Onward and upward :D
Bruce