GE 25 Ton Switcher

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I have recently been allowed to operate a GE 25 Ton switch engine that is privately owned/operated on a 2 mile section of rail.

It has dawned on me that this engine could be a really unique industrial switcher to use on my layout for the steel industry I have.

Does anyone have any idea where I may find this engine in HO? I would prefer Athearn or Atlas but willing to entertain other possibilities.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I believe you only have two options:

The never in stock Grantline HO Item#: 300-7091. I've been watchin' for this baby to become available for over 6 months. I held my breath for the first 2 minutes, then gave up on that idea.

~or~

What I plan to do. Ever notice how close the 25 tonner is to half a 44 tonner? Get an early two motored bachmann 44t for about $25 from trainworld, and wack off the back. (link for illustration only, not the one to buy) You get an extra power truck, and you get to bash the area below the body and the back of the cab. I think you could really get it to look like one. I don't know about the length. Next time you're out there can you measure the length? I guess from the bottom front of the grill to the back of the cab? Maybe the wheelbase? Please please please??? Lucky dawg. Could only be better if it was a plymouth or a steamer.

N

nachoman

I think there was an article in MR about building one a few years back. either a 23 ton or 25 ton. I think plans were published with this article. Also, check ebay for the grandt switchers...

kevin

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
gecritter.jpg

This is a pic of a GE 44 tonner I bashed into a pseudo-25 tonner. They aren't quite the same but they are similar. The power trucks have too short a wheelbase to be used for the 25 tonner--in this photo I have an N scale six-wheel Plymouth switcher frame, to make an HOn30 locomotive, but a power truck like a PDT or a SPUD with an 8' wheelbase with some easily-bashed sideframes (basically a slab of styrene with a couple of journal boxes glued on) produces good results.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Welcome to the Gauge, Wolfgang! :wave: I've been a long-time admirer of your Westport Terminal. The Gauge is a wonderful, Friendly place to share idea and photos of your progress...I hope to see many threads featuring your layout here! Thanks for coming! :wave:

As for the 25ton switcher mentioned in Jon-monon's post (#2) "The never in stock Grantline HO Item#: 300-7091" IS IN STOCK!!! :eek:

isboris4449

Dec 15, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I have a couple of the HOn3 versions of the Grandt Line GE 25 T switcher, and the axles would allow regauging to standard gauge if thet interests you. These are new/unbuilt in the box, complete. Let me know if you are.

Tom

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Here's a photo of one I built from the article in MR.
The shel is sheet styrenethe hood dors are embossed foil.
The drive was built from scratch.

Attachments

• GE25ton.jpg
    GE25ton.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 165