Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by SinAfterSin, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

Stumbled across this forum when I was googling model kits. I use to build kits years ago and now have come back to the hobby recently as I have more time on my hands these days and never really lost the passion.

I've built 3 model planes so far. NASA 747 shuttle transporter, SR71 Blackbird and a B29, the Enola Gay. All have been damaged by others lol. wall1

I'm currently building the Russian Antonov AN-124 "Ruslan" 1:144 scale.

I hope to pick up a few tips and maybe make a friend or 2 from Zealot.
  2. chooch.42

chooch.42 Member

Greetings and Welcome ! Another skilled builder from the Southern Hemi. Brisbane was one of my Dad's stopovers in about 1943 - in spite of the reason he was there, he's loved his time spent in Oz to this day. Hope you'll enjoy your visitation here as much ! Bob C.
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Glad to hear from a fellow modeler from down under!
  4. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

G'day. Thanks for the welcome guys.

Not sure I am on the right forum. Seems to me that this caters more for the card models. Not something I'm very familiar with. I like the plastic scale model kits. It's all I have ever built. I hope I haven't wasted anybodies time here.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Ahhh, plastic, I have heard of it :) yes we are a card modeling forum. You should check one out sometime! They can be very nice models if done properly. We have LOTS of members that model in both plastic and paper, whichever happens to have what strikes their fancy at the time. have a look around!

EDIT.....We are NOT a card modeling forum! We are a community of Hobbyists many of whom build models from various materials and many of whom pursue other hobbies altogether. You are in the right place. -Maico Shark
  6. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Paper or Plastic?

Try it, you'll like it!

And I am way down the food chain from the really good builders on this forum.

7. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

Yogi, that space shuttle and UAV look great mate. I haven't noticed if my hobby store carries them. However, I haven't looked for them. Might make a point of checking them out. As soon as I finish the Antonov, which is proving to be a challenge, I'll make an effort.
  8. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

All are free downloads - print it yourself (or have the local office supply shop do it) onto 60# card stock (mid-weight or cover weight stock; about the same as a business card or index card).

Cub from Fiddlers Green (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/) via the US Civil Air Patrol as a free educational download.

The armed Predator is free from Paper Replika (paper-replika.com).

And the shuttle is free from Alphonso's AXM site (http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ ).

Initial cost is paper, glue, blades, and your time.

9. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

Yogi, thanks for that. I don't possess a printer, but I have a mate who'll print them out for me.

It's just gone midnight here. I'm going to watch some Stargate and paint lots and lots of landing gear and devise a strategy to convince the wife in allowing me to buy the Saturn V 1:96 scale that just came in to the store.
  10. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Mate (or Hey Y'all in my vernacular),

Take a look at the Saturn Vs on Jon Leslie's site, Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center. http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html Fourth one down is 1:96, and there's a 1:48 about a quarter of the way down the page. Both from Ton Noteboom, noted for both his meticulous attention to detail and the perfect fit of the parts.

Might be easier to get "she whose permission must be obtained" for go for a ream of card stock and some ink - rather than plastic.

11. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Yep, and card modeling doesn't have any of those noxious fumes that pl**tic modelers have to deal with.

Some more sites to check out

These, plus those already mentioned, only just begin to scratch the surface of the free card models out there on the web. Card models range from ridiculously simple to fiendishly difficult in detail and complexity. There are people here who display card models at pl**tic model conventions where folks have difficulty deciding which is which.

Did I forget to mention that card modeling is WAY cheaper and every bit as challenging (if not more so)?
  12. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

I love the plastic kits. Noxious fumes and all and yes, they are pricey, but they are also worth it to me.

Looks like there are a lot more options in the space category with card models. There's some very impressive stuff there.

Elliott, thanks for those links. Do you guys know of a Stargate model?
  13. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey Sin, welcome to the forum! I'm newly a fan of Stargate SG-1 myself, just started watching them on DVD and am almost through Season 5 now. I've looked around on the web and found a couple Stargate models:

Paragon has a Death Glider model here: http://www.freewebs.com/paragon19/other.htm
    Jaybats has a couple Asgard and Earth ships: http://www.freewebs.com/jaybats/chevron7carded.htm
    Paper Aviation has a puddlejumper (not familar - maybe its from Atlantis?): http://www.paperaviation.de/Science-Fiction/science-fiction.html

And of course some Stargates:

And not for download (yet we hope) but crazy detailed (yes its paper):

I plan on soon starting a design for a Stargate that's somewhere in between the ones above in complexity/detail and will be providing it for free download. Stay tuned for it!

Be sure to post pics of your builds of any of these, and once again, welcome!
  14. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

SinAfterSin, you are not sinning if you build paper as well as plastic. I am a former president of IPMS/USA. There!

As far as the 1/96th scale Saturn is concerned you cannot purchase in plastic a model as accurately and finely detailed as the one FOR FREE designed by Ton Noteboom. In plastic you cannot find a detailed model of the F-1 engine that Ton designed in 1/48th scale....FOR FREE.

If you have a local copier store with color printers, save the file to a hard drive and have them print it on heavy card stock. I forget the metric conversion. In the USA, it's 110 pound.

Your wife will not complain about the few dollars you are spending compared to the exhorbitant cost of the plastic version.

And, God will forgive you for building paper.
  15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

It's about the model, not the medium. But still, the cost angle is a good point for use with "she who's permission must be obtained."
  16. SinAfterSin

SinAfterSin New Member

Thanks cmags. Happy to be here. I was not a fan of McGyver and therefore not a fan of Richard Dean Anderson. Pay TV here finally got the SciFi channel a couple of years ago and now I'm collecting the DVDs as well and love the character of Jack O'Neill. I'm about to start the 4th season, but the SciFi channel has them all. The puddle jumper IS from Atlantis. I hope you give it a chance. It's every bit as good as SG-1.

One of the links Elliott gave me has some of the ships, but I'd like the actual Stargate device. A diorama of the embarcation room would be sensational lol. Thanks for your links mate.

cdavenport, 1kg = 2.25lbs.

This particular Saturn V by Revell is $199. She'd get a little upset if I bought it without talking to her about it. In saying that she wants me to build a B 2 bomber in 1:48 scale. wall1 I don't know what you would pay for it in the US. As for the accuracy, that's the beauty about plastic. You can make it accurate. I like everything associated with plastic models. it's not something I'm going to stop doing. However, I am open minded enough to explore other avenues. Only reason I haven't tried card models is because I didn't know about them.

I'm eager to give the card model a go. The Antonov has run into a major K9 related disaster and I have some serious salvage work to do lol. Looks like it will be suspended from the ceiling now instead of open front and rear. :sad:

Maico, I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the tips fellas. :thumb:
  17. 2Kamser

2Kamser New Member

Welcome to the show

hi SinAfterSin
    i myself is pretty new to this with cardmodels but have done some plastics,
    still have a shuttle to do that i bought in 1991 at the space museum in Kansas :thumb:
    i have downloaded the stargate from momirfarooq.com
    click on models and you can find it at the bottom of the page
    best whishes from Sweden
  18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Let me be the first to nominate your wife to the Dalai Lama, Pope, and High Ayatollah for sainthood! You're very right that a $200 model is going to give you some precision and detail. Like to see how that goes (or pix of your current collection) regardless of the medium. One advantage of building across all media is the selection - what you can't find in plastic or resin is likely out there somewhere in card/paper (or you can design and build from scratch). It also gives you easy options for building a display diorama for that Saturn V once you finish.

And for Maico - relax! I really think an experienced modeller with the confidence to work a $200 Saturn V can hold his own against duffers like the rest of us. Reminds me of boat building - wood (teredo worm bait) vs. fiberglass (frozen snot). But either will give you a good boat - and my own little boats have a bit 'o both (as well as some metal and plastic bits).

Can-yak AKA simplest boat at 1:1 scale - two frames, two sides, bottom, top, chines/stem/inwales

It's all about the build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.