G'day from WA

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by lespom, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lespom

lespom New Member

Hi All,

I'm newbie, to here and card modelling, from WA (Western Australia). I have got hold of some warship drawings for HMS Intrepid, the latter assault ship, and the USS Indiana, both scale out to about a metre long abd I think would be great to model (probably biting off more than I can chew, but I'll give it a go).

What I intend to do is:

1. Scan the plans and then trace them using a CAD program (AutoCad or TurboCad, I have both and am reasonably conversant with them), the drawings I have are starting to yellow and need preserving.

2. Build the models, Intrepid first I think.

Sounds straightforward and simple, but probably not!

Now, a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. After scanning and tracing the drawings what are the rules on copyright for the cad drawings? The reason I ask this is that after all this work I would like to share them, ie make them available here for anyone who wants a copy.

2. Without starting a debate (please don't flame a newbie:) , how "pure" does a model have to be to qualify as card, ie the keel and hull stations (sections) in foam core or 3mm mdf, timber plank decking, brass "bits" etc.

Thanks and Kind regards,

2. diamondback

diamondback Member

Well, from the OTHER WA (Washington state), I'd say you have a game-plan. Genrating a plan is simple, carrying it out's where things get "interesting".

Granted, I haven't built many models (too many end up as "false starts"), I'd say thtat a card "skin" makes a cardmodel. If you choose to make an internal frame out of stronger materials, it can still be a cardmodel. But there are those who have problems with even using string or wire for rigging on things, and certainly not dowels or small metal for axles or other solid cylinders!

Sorry, sir, but that question always seems to trigger a firestorm. The only correct answer is "do what's right for you."

Welcome aboard, and happy modeling! New guy buys the cardstock... ;)
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome Aboard and a You Have a Good Plan

First welcome aboard and enjoy yourself. Sounds as if you have a plan and have the most important wherewithall to achieving it, a set of good drawings. Copyright on traced plans is still enforce as far as I know and depends on one, the original copyright date and whether it's still in force or two, whether it is in the public domain. When drawing up plans the use of multiple source material is always advisable and stirs up the muck as regards whether the work is original enough to warrant its own copyright. Taking datum from photographs is generally the most accurate way to document features of the ship but again they have to have a date so that refit changes can be accounted for. Finding major irregularities in a drawing set begins to make a case for the new copyright if enough are included in the new set. If you do this for very long you will find that excellent drawings are extremely rare, good drawings a jewel to behold and disgust at the sea of bad drawings that plague good model design.

Best, -Gil
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

You make up the rules. So it all depends on what you want from your activity. Most cardmodelers enjoy the process of seeing flat shapes become 3-d shapes. Modelers also might enjoy the people's reaction to being told that the model is entirely paper. Some modelers enjoy designing on 3-D modeling programs and for them the paper version is a way of realizing the digital model.

I make models because I want to understand how a full sized object is made. For me it's the structure, not the skin that makes the model. I use Coreldraw and use almost no bitmaps because I care more about how the craft is made than about details of texture. I use whatever material best models the processes and characteristics of materials in the full sized craft, so I end up using a combination of materials with paper predominating.

I've never worked from full plans of a craft or vessel. I think it would be confusing. Much of the work of design seems to be of deciding what info data from the original is important and what is irrelivant. For me original plans would have too much data.
    In making models of existing vessels(I make boats and amphibious aircraft) I work mostly from my own photographs. I like to have a shot from a side that gives the profile of the vessel, and one from the top, front, or stern. All four would be great, but I usually don't have them. From the photos, I draw a "floor plan" and a side elevation. If the photo from the side is good I just import the photo into Coreldraw and draw the elevation over the top of it. I draw the floor plan right next to it with all parts aligned. I extrapulate the parts and angles that I don't have photos of. I enjoy this sort of puzzle.

Once I have the elevations done, I make a central keel piece from the profile elevation. This slots together with a deck plate from the floor plan. The formers/bulheads/ribs get extrapulated from the stern and prow elevations. Voila the basic shape of the model is in place. Depending on taste and reason for making a model this structure without a skin may be enough. I've seen models of complex, compound shapes such as the turret roof of cathedrals built without the skin.
    With my first cardmodels I attempted to design skin before structure. It led to lots of frustration since I couldn't fix the skin in space where I wanted it. By designing and building structure first I can coax paper into compound curves.

For me a 3-d program would probably make things to complicated because it might force me to consider issues that are irrelivant to my purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.