Gaugers getting together.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Today Saturday the 17th. Bill Annand and his wife Cecilia came by for a visit to the M.A.T. It was sure an honour to have Bill at the throttle of the pedlar headed by a M.A.T. and a GVR GP40-2s

Attachments

• ba.jpg
    ba.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 179

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Robin, thanks for having Cecilia and I over, the MAT in it's current mushroom configuration is truly amazing. Even though only about half of it is done.

I agree with Tyson, that part in the center IS bigger than my planned layout.

Fred, SSHHH!!! they are not supposed to know... :eek: :eek: :D :D

For those who have only followed Robin's progress on The Gauge, let me tell you, his MAT and his structures look even better in person than in the pictures he posts here.

AND what that fellow can do with cardboard and cerealboard. :eek: :cool: :thumb:

All I can say is, he is as talented as some of the best. Shamus does amazing trees, Robin does amazing $1.00 structures.

Thanks for the tips Robin, now I have to buy the correct tools and work up the courage to tackle a building.

On the way home all my wife kept doing was saying "Wow did you see _____ building, wasn't it amazing!" or "I can't believe how great those buildings are and they are cardboard, unbelievable."

Thanks again Robin and if you or any fellow Gaugers are heading up to Muskoka, let me know. Showing off a layout is always fun.

On the way home, we took a side trip, did the back roads run from Cheltenham, thourgh Inglewood, Forks of The Credit, Cataract and up to Orangeville. Tracing the route of my layout. I got some tips from the journey. Was a fun and productive day all around.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hiya Robin,
Now thats what I call having real fun when someone has a visit to your railroad empire. :wave: Very nice indeed.

Any Gaugers living in the UK?
Shamus

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
I agree whole heartedly Ralph.

The valances coupled with the photo backdrops made the layout appear very polished and larger.

With the 2-3 levels of the MAT since it has gone "mushroom", Robin packs a lot of railroad in a moderate sized room. I am not sure of the room size, but there was alot to see. With his track only 30% finished and the fact he is modifying his track plan to suit his buildings, he will have fun for years to come.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Will, Robin,

Looks like lots of fun! Will - I would not be surprised if you beging to make cerealboard buildings for your layout... and if your plans rapidly expand (pending approval from Cecilia...) ;)

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Well, so much for those who say that model railroading isn't growing..............up in Georgetown, it's mushrooming!;) ;) ;)

Will,
I know how much fun you can have, visiting.
From all the posts, it appears that gauge member visits have been very sucessful, and pleasant. Bravo Zulu*, gauge members!
Pete

* "Bravo Zulu", for the non military, is "Well Done".

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Will, we might have connected too, but my wife and I spent the weekend in West Virginia. One thing about buildings from cereal boxes -- you don't waste any money when you make mistakes. You can practise a lot and only risk getting fat! And you become a lot fussier about how they pack your groceries.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Pete

I agree, seeing what others do in the hobby is always interesting and fun. While I found Robin's "mushroom" MAT fascinating, I don't think it is for me, I like rolling hills and want 24" depth, not 12" depth. BUT, I could tell from the way Robin was talking about his layout and his plans that there is a lot of pride there and it is perfect for him.

I did get several good tips from Robin on scenic effects and structure building which is very much appreciated. Robin is a true artist.

David

Agreed, practice is necessary, and the media is cheap.
At the local Independent Grocers, I tend to pack my own anyway.
As for fat, I am doing that anyway :D Ever since I was a teenger, I was 6'2" and 200lbs, I noticed my pants shrinking around the waist in the last couple of years. Last time I got weighed I was 240. :confused: oh well, it happens. :D

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
I dunno , Will , you have a pretty satisfied expression on your face in that pic . Maybe you are ' latent mushroom guy ' afterall.
C'mon , the alcove can take a mushroom style layout ...talk to the wife etc. etc. You only live once ( that we know of ) so DO IT !!:D

Neil

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
:thumb: :thumb: I envy you, Will. Would love to see that layout. One of the things I love about model railroading is that it has to be shared to be fully enjoyed.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Agreed, Shay, sharing your creation with others is where true enjoyment comes in. It is always nice to get complimented on your work.

Neil, don't get me wrong, I think Robin has one hell of a good layout there.

As to my alcove, I have been kidding with a couple of the guys at the RR club, that what I have now is only "Phase 01" and that a second level might look pretty good. I only wonder how I would get from lower to upper? No room for a helix and only (at most) 15' to rise the distance.....

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Will_annand
I only wonder how I would get from lower to upper? No room for a helix and only (at most) 15' to rise the distance.....

Won't 15' put you on the roof...? ;)

Seriously... you can use a "train elevator". There have been a number of articles in MR about building them. One that sticks in my mind uses drawer slides to keep everything running smoothly, and a threaded rod to raise/lower the whole assembly slowly and carefully.

You could also use "cassettes" - sort of a D-I-Y elevator that is powered by you... :)

If you'd like that article on the elevator, I'll dig it out for you.

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Originally posted by MasonJar
Won't 15' put you on the roof...? ;)

Wel, no, because I am in an apartment, that would put me in the living room of the guy in apartment #3.

Seriously... you can use a "train elevator".

Now I have heard of lateral "turntables", that slide instaed of turn... but I think I missed the elevator issue. That I would be interested in seeing.

Thanks Andrew.