Gauge Railway Railcars / Locos

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I added the FIFTH Gauge Railway railcar to the official register this afternoon; it and pics of all the units can be found here:

http://www.heatherandmichael.com/prb/GaugeOER.html

I know a number of others (including me!) are working on theirs (or waiting for decals, etc.). Keep up the good work, everyone, I think this is a kewl idea.

Jon-monon sent me a pm this aftn about numbering locomotives, if and when some of us choose to paint one up for The Gauge Railway.

My recommendation is to number it the same as your ID# (i.e., it would therefore have a number between 1 and 774 (Lackawanna Jim's # as he joined today)). Member numbers can be found on my website, or you can find it by scrolling over the profile button at the bottom of each of your posts, and looking in the text bar at the bottom of your screen (just above your "Start" button if you're using a PC).

For example, the first locomotive I painted up would be #306. Future ones should be in sequence, but email me before you start your second unit. I will either ensure that the next member number (#307 in my case) is no longer posting, or I'll figure out the next sequential number you can use.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Mike,
How about this for locos. Use the ID number and add one after it.
Example(using my number) 5371.
Plus I have another car to add. A covered hopper. I'll take a picture as soon as its returned from the Xmas Village RR. It was commendered by the better half!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Gauge Railway Info!!!!!!

Hi....... In case you didn't notice this thread is now the "Sticky" in this forum... If you want info on the Gauge Railway, go to the site in the First Post. If you want to post Pics - Any Pic pertaining to the Railway can be posted here:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3735

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY PICS IN THIS FORUM!!!!
we are trying to keep the pics in the Photo forum... :) :)

Thanks!!

~~ Mikey

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, we can now add a 2 bay open hopper to the list. A former L&N hopper that was purchased in the later '80s during the economic boom. The L&N numbers were painted over and replaced with Gauge and numbered 306741.

In real life, it is a HO scale Life Like Conductor's Choice blue 2 bay L&N open hopper. I removed their name and number and used rub-on letters to letter it "Gauge" and 306741. Not bad for a first try I guess. It was cheap, and right now that is what matters! ;)

Michael

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
This is a cool idea. I did some looking and couldn't find the thread that started it. So pardon my questions. I assume any scale may participate? Is there a number series out there to guide us? Any other guide lines you want followed? I would like to do a couple cars myself.

Thanks,
Greg Elems

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Greg Elems
This is a cool idea. I did some looking and couldn't find the thread that started it. So pardon my questions. I assume any scale may participate? Is there a number series out there to guide us? Any other guide lines you want followed? I would like to do a couple cars myself.

Thanks,
Greg Elems

Hi Greg - Welcome Aboard!! :) :)

Yes thay can be any gauge - just follow the rules for the numbering system. Your car / engine has to have "Gauge Blue" on it somewhere.. follow the link above to see the ones that are already finished. (Including My snow plow) :D :D

Just post a pic or 2 so Michael can ad it to his site:)

Here's the info link!! :D

The Gauge Railway Info

Let us know if you have ANY questions!!!!

btw - your Number is " 809 "

Have fun!!

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Thanks for the info and link. I have a couple gondolas that need reporting marks. Both fall in the older car category and will be black (S scale) and brown (O scale). Will I need a decal for the GAUGE emblem? HO will work for the S scale gondola. Anyway, need to go back and reread the thread and look at the links.

Thanks,
Greg

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
And, finally, my two railcars are ready. I have diverged from the traditional paint schemes, but there's a story behind it - see thread in Photography, or my website under "Freelance".

gaugxm.jpg

gauxt.jpg

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Originally posted by McFortner
Well, we can now add a 2 bay open hopper to the list. A former L&N hopper that was purchased in the later '80s during the economic boom. The L&N numbers were painted over and replaced with Gauge and numbered 306741.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, but I am still learning my new digital camera. ;)

Michael

Attachments

• gauge.jpg
    gauge.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 536

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
I've had a change of mind. I will plan on a PS-1 40' box car instead of the gondola. I had a chance to buy a Weaver O scale car undec for a nice price. My question is, how dark should the blue be? Would a Conrail blue be a good choice?

Greg Elems

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
Rockislandmike

I am not sure if I did this correct so you would include my Gauge box car in your register, I posted 2 photos of my N scale Gauge box car #106190 in the thread as directed by N Gauger, is this the correct way to have it included?

2nd question what would the correct number sequence be for a Gauge caboose

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by CSX6638
Rockislandmike

I am not sure if I did this correct so you would include my Gauge box car in your register, I posted 2 photos of my N scale Gauge box car #106190 in the thread as directed by N Gauger, is this the correct way to have it included?

2nd question what would the correct number sequence be for a Gauge caboose

You did well!!!! Absolutly Correct!! and a nice car too :) :)

Since you asked - I guess it's time to re-post the numbering system:

The first digit should signify the type of rolling stock that is being modeled: (1) boxcar; (2) covered hopper; (3) open hopper; (4) tank car; (5) reefer; (6) flat car; (7) gondola; (9) all others including cabooses and MOW equipment.

The next four digits should be each member's unique identifier that can be found by scrolling the mouse over the "profile" button at the bottom of each of your posts (zero's should be included at the front of this number to make up four digits). For example, my number (rockislandmike) is 306. Therefore, the four digits in my case would be 0306.

The final digit will be a unique identifier for each car. That is, the first boxcar each member models would be "1", the second "2", and so on.

So, A Caboose could be in your case: 906191... Got it?? :D

9 (Caboose) 0619 (Member No.) and 1 (First Caboose on your layout for TGR RR)

Have fun above all else!! :D :D :D