Gauge Railway Boxcar

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by eightyeightfan1, Oct 19, 2002.

1. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Fresh from the paint shop, and on its first assignment, The Gauge Railway's 50' boxcar awaits on a siding for its first cross counrty adventure.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I like that very much, nice neat job. ;)
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Most excellent, 88, and the scenery, also!!
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Great job 88! :cool: Boxcar and scenery both excellent!
  5. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

That's top notch 88, I didn't think I would like blue but that looks VERY attractive. Is it a "Polly-S" colour? do tell us.

Yep, I really like that blue!!:)

6. shamus

shamus Registered Member

88, thats real nice, and that blue, :cool:

7. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

I agree... Looks great!:D

By the way thanks again for the N stuff.
    Been fiddling with'em since I got'em.
  8. eightyeightfan1

Thanks everyone.
    The paint is made by Testors. Its in their "Team Racing" line. The color is called"Quality Care Racing Blue". I had it on hand for doing a stock car model that I never started. Walthers still lists it in their catalogue. I don't have an airbrush, so I'm stuck with spray cans. But Xmas is coming.....
    Thanks again everyone
  9. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Very Nice!!

I think that shade is a "perfect" Gauge blue...not the shade of any Line that I can think of...
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I think the P-K line may have tried a similar shade on one of their MDT's, but the paint just peeled off teh primer and looked pretty rough :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

BTW: Before years of harsh midwestern sun beat away at it, it was a deeper blue, a closer match, and readily available at any autoparts inc. your fav. X-mart, as Ford Engine Blue

Attached Files:

12. Wolv33

Wolv33 Member

Is that a Model Power switcher?

I have an old Conrail sitting around, but didn't know what to do with it. It's dead and a piece on the rear is missing.

88fan, I see the number system worked out great! That blue is pretty cool too! Nice logo on the car!!

13. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

Like the car and the color. :) I cannot tell from the angle but did you do the "Gauge" emblem as a decal or is it just a small color pic? :cool:
  14. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I guess you've set the bar for "gauge" rolling stock. I like the use of the gauge logo
  15. eightyeightfan1

Thanks Dave and sumpter.
    Actually its a decal on a .020 piece of styrene. I originally wanted the logo to be on the car, but when I did the decal, it was on clear decal sheet and didn't show up on the blue. I've just ordered white decal sheets for the next cars that I do.
  16. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

88, how did you do the white lettering ??? white decal background ??? alps printer ??? inquiring minds want to know (well, at least I do).
  17. eightyeightfan1

After reading your inquiry, I went down to the workshop and got some numbers in case anybody else was interested.
    The Gauge Logo, was done on my Compaq ink jet printer, on Vita -Cal decal sheet, it was clear and wasn't gonna show up on the blue, so I put it on a .020 piece of styrene and glued it to the sides. I ordered white sheets for the next cars.
    The reporting marks are Micro-scale Railroad Roman(87-69-1) the "Keep It Gauged" (Thanks Ken) is Micro Scale New Haven Gothic- Extended(90081) and the data is Herald King "Modern Boxcar" (D-2W) which included enough to do three 50' and three 40' boxcars. It also had door and even brake shoe data.
    Hope this helps.
  18. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Sorry I didn't mean to ignore your inquerry, it's a tyco or AHM, but I think I've seen the exact same model from model power. If you search e-bay for plymouth and/or industrial, you can find them often for $5 or $10. I got this one for $7 on e-bay, my other I had since I was a tyke.

This is a "finished" picture.

Attached Files:

19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Oh, yes, and model power did sell the smaller Plymouth DDT
  20. eightyeightfan1

I made a mistake when giving you those decal numbers. That number for the Railroad Roman letters is old. The correct number is 90001. Sorry about that.