Gauge "N" Boxcar TGR#101976

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

"I think these boys are heros" says this group which are mostly women and old men.

"Three cheers for the rescue boys!"

They don't know that most of the "volunteers" were shanghied from the closest pub...

Attachments

• right c.jpg
    right c.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 189

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

Chapter 3

The consist stops at the yard to install a plow on the locomotive to clear the way though the rock slides. All the RR Newbies are gathered around asking “How do you attach this thing?” “Maybe if we haul it up with the forklift, we can get Wally the welder to attach it somehow.”

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 153

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

“Success at last, I sure hope it holds!” “This calls for a beer.” Meanwhile, back in the boxcar the beer is getting warm so the volunteers have already drained the first barrel. After a few beers, the rescue attempt can finally proceed…

Attachments

• #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 144

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

Chapter 4

After much trial and error, the plow is bolted, chained, and welded onto NYC 6107, and the consist departs the yard on their historic rescue mission to the cheers of the locals and the loud belches of the volunteers, who are now into a second barrel of beer. No sooner out of the yard however, the engineer brakes hard to avoid running over a group of temperance union protesters blocking the tracks.

Attachments

• ch 4 #1.jpg
    ch 4 #1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 132

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

“We’re against that illegal booze” said 97 year old Penelope Prissy, leader of the group. Here is an exclusive shot of the protestors from the Island News helicopter.

Attachments

• ch 4 #2.jpg
    ch 4 #2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 131

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

Ed the engineer took Penelope aside and gently revealed to her that booze used to be illegal in the US, but not in Canada. “In any event”, Ed tells her, “it’s legal now”. “What?” she said, “How come nobody ever told me?”

Ed slipped Penelope a bottle of genuine Kentucky hooch that someone had found in the corner of the boxcar and the consist was allowed to proceed on it’s way to more loud belches coming from the boxcar.

Attachments

• ch 4 #3.jpg
    ch 4 #3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 128

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
"Beer is evil"?..."Beer is bad"?...Those CAN'T be Canadians!!
:D ;) :p :D
Great pics, gerry!:cool: :cool: :cool: (got a good laugh from that one!:D )
I think I remember that geep from a previous post...?
If so, looks like you've put a new pilot on the front...looks great!:cool:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Gerry,

That's a great story and shots. I am upset about one thing though. I though that we cleaned out all that Kentucky stuff from the car when it got to the Town of Santa Maria. :rolleyes: My LPB's are going to be really ticked off when they find out they let some get by.:eek: :D :eek: :D

D;) N

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Re: World Tour '03

Originally posted by gerry m

Ed slipped Penelope a bottle of genuine Kentucky hooch that someone had found in the corner of the boxcar.

Man oh man boys!, old Billy Finn (freight boss at Cascadia Distributing) will never live this one down. He never misses an errant bottle and word has it that the "keenest Nose for Booze" in the the entire southern interior is now in disgrace and is, at this moment crying in his triple shot of Jamisons neet trying to figure out just how in blazes that one got past him.:confused:

Terry

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

Chapter 5

The rescue train proceeds through Goldstream Park and over Niagara canyon towards a giant plume of smoke and earthquake devastation. The fire was so hot that it burned off every piece of vegetation leaving behind bare rock.

Attachments

• ch 5 #1.jpg
    ch 5 #1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 142

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

While contemplating the situation, Ed makes radio contact with the stranded crew and finds out that Tom had brought along has wife Tricia, who is 8 months pregnant. The earthquake and fire was too much for her and she has gone into labour.

The roads are still blocked, there is still too much smoke in the area for a rescue helicopter, and the railway is her only chance!

Desperately, the rescue crew, who are feeling no pain after downing four barrels of beer, attack the rock slide.

Attachments

• ch 5 #3.jpg
    ch 5 #3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 136

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

After a heroic effort clearing the rock slide, the work crew is rescued! There’s no time to celebrate however, as Tricia is starting to scream every two minutes and husband Tom is turning white.

Attachments

• ch 5 #4.jpg
    ch 5 #4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 134

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
World Tour '03

Chapter 6

Tricia, the rescued crew, and the volunteers are all crammed into TGR 101976 for the return trip to Victoria. The crew can’t reverse the Geep since the far end of the passing siding is still blocked, so the consist will have to go back the way it came up.

Attachments

• ch 6 #1.jpg
    ch 6 #1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 109