Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jan 16, 2005.
That helix looks great!!!
The trees are fabulous!! Too Good Guys!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The helix does look great. i am wondering what kind a scenery could be used on it.
Here are some pictures of the wild life in the forest.
From the mail layout area, the helix will not be seen. If take a close look at the pics you can see the back of the background masonite that shields the view... then nice part is, all I have to do is step into the isle or get inside of the helix to watch what is going on. It is all open inside on on 2 sides.
dose any body know how to make file sizes smaller so i can post pic of my layout bench work for the layout party .:thumb:
i hope this works this my new layout in pregress its ho bench work size 11' x 11' with a 5 foot hole in the center for track cleaning each table is 3'wide
Well folks, I just got over what was for me a major hurdle - drum roll please - I got my wiring done for the first level.
Next step is to lay the track on the elevated level. Feeling pretty good about this.
Good job Val!
I always have a hard time with wiring myself, its a real nightmare sometimes. I also got some work done over the weekend. I graded the roadbed for the papermill branch, widened it to accomodate a passing loop and added a bunch of trees to the mountain. I 've now run out of lichen, boy do large mountains really suck it up!
I've gotten a few of the shells repaired and started adding detail parts.
The F7 shells all had some steps rebuilt that were broken off, A pilot was fabricated for the Athearn F7A, the winterization hatch was replaced with a 36" fan and another pilot was grafted onto the Bachmann shell, the lower headlights on the F7As were filled in, the steam generators were removed from all the shells and the molded on grab irons and lift rings were shaved off and replaced with formed steel wire.
Here's a closer look at the Athearn F7 pilot.
I have installed the grab irons since this photo was taken and just need to install the Pennsy style Train phone antenna.
This is the Bachmann F9 shell I'm back dating to a phase II F7.
I also had to fabricate a numberboard.
Helix has hit the summit!! All I need to do now is some track filing here and there from the excess solder and attach feeders. Works well with a car or two going down hill... we shall see with an engine maybe this weekend!
WOW....that's all I can say! WOW!!!!:thumb:
Oh Man - That looks Great!!!!!!!
Awesome! :thumb: :thumb:
The helix looks awesome, I would like to see a train running up.
Here is an update on the trees. I got to do the other side of the mountain that I just started this weekend. My son did some weathering on the cars and engines he is 12 yrs old I think he did a good job. He did help with the trees also.
Population of Nowheresville just doubled.
trains1972 still look'n good, do you have any shots of your son's weathering job?
My next structure is moving along very slowly so I thought I would attempt at a couple more LPB's. 7 down, only 100+ more to go. Here they are gathered at Cliffton Motor Co. just passing their time away. (I am affraid to get any closer, it might get scary. I figure they look pretty good far away so we'll just stay at this distance.) They need a shot of dullcoat and once I decide where they will go I will perform a little plastic surgery and cut their bases off.
I do have pictures of the trains that are weathered. This was his first time her practiced on some broken cars that were about ten years old. I can take closer pictures if you want. The figures will make a good scene. Here are some pictures the first couple of cars did not turn out that well but some came out perfect. He only did 12 cars, 4 engines out of about 60 cars 9 engines.
Here is another update on the trees. I finished the mountains with the trees just have some more bushes and ground cover to do then the middle section will be finished. I will work on the outer yards for the next layout party.
Here are some wide shots of the whole middle section.
Here are the outer yards on the sides for the next layout party.
Great progress everyone!!! This is shaping up to be the best layout party yet!!! :thumb:
As for me, I had to rip out the yard ladder. My switcher kept derailing, and no amount of shimming seemed to fix the problem. Basically, the ladder was right over a spot where 2 pieces of benchwork meet, and there's a slight bump in the roadbed - almost impossible to see, but quite enough to cause problems.
So, I'm relocating the yard ladder. This will actually give me a longer yard, so there are some plusses to what is otherwise just frustrating.
That's funny - I timed out but the post went through anyway. Ok, here are the pix I was going to include.
1. Ripping out the ladder.
2. Mockup howing how the upper level track will look.
Separate names with a comma.