Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jan 16, 2005.
And here is the paint I used
Was the abutment made freehand or was there something to give it shape under it.... or was it molded? Looks really good!
There is pink foam behind it. I poured the wall with PoP and carved the mortar lines.
Here is the post I was keeping track of the construction of the diorama.
I took the bucket of parts and drilled holes and cut biscuit pockets in them and assembled all the loops.
If I were to do it over, I would drill the holes last, but live and learn.
If you have never seen a buscuit jointer it is a cool tool!
It cuts a pocket in the edge of the wood....
And you glue in a biscuit. Makes a very stable joint.
Anyhow, if you assemble enough of these you get a big stack!!!
The foil was to keep the layers from being glued together. The white pins are cut up plastic coat hangers used to "register" the holes so the stack will line up.
That is it for today!! I am out of town for a couple of days now, so no more work till sunday!
I like the helix. Here is an update on the trees on my layout. I used one bag of the ground cover stuff, I ordered 4 more bags to give you an idea of how many trees I want. The area that I am modeling is Yellowstone park if a train ran through it.
Here is a picture of the first wild life on the layout.
Nice work everyone. This is going to be a great party.
I've made some progress.
The experimental drive for the AHM C-liner worked out great.
It has 8 wheel drive 8 wheel electrical pickup and dual motors.
The 2 dummy chassis are also completed.
Unlike the original drive , the tape deck motors are mounted to the trucks on spacers and swivel with the truck.
I have the stock MDC 0-6-0T painted and ready to assemble.
2 powered and one dummy Athearn Hi-F F7 chassis are ready to assemble.
I painted the frames, ladders and railings on these 2 MDC caboose kits that my son assembled.
The frame and upper platform were repaired and painted on the Athearn tank car also.
I also painted this N scale project that was on the shelf.
Saturday, Jan. 22/05
Today is the Big Day!!! After weeks of preparation, putting strapping on walls, masonite installation, priming, painting, building the benchwork, cutting up plywood, laying homasote, more painting..... I am finally ready to start laying track! Wooo-hooo! I can't wait.
Musn't forget to take some photo's for the Gauge layout party. Wow, everyone's really making progress on their projects.
Anyway, I better finish this coffee and get going. I have a railroad to build!!
Dang Ray, that experimental C liner dual motor power is quite cool.
I put on a pulley for the chut counterweight and a walkway by the chut. Fred
Some more neat stuff!! You all are doing great!!!
I'd like to show y'all what I've accomplished and I would too if'n my my dadburned FTP would cooperate with me.
Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Great progress everyone!
I finished recoloring the stones in the abutment.
Here is the front face.
Here is the view from the side.
If you are interested in how I did the coloring then check out the following topic. I placed a more detailed description of my work method there.
Well, it was a pretty productive weekend. I painted these clouds earlier in the week and decided I didn't like them. I spent 6 hours working on it before I came to that conclusion. Anyway, it's mainly the top I don't like - I think they'll work in photos, so I'm going to move on.
Moving on to more enjoyable things, I started laying track on Saturday. I tried to solder the track for the curve, but when I curved it, it came apart. Who knew you should still use rail joiners when you solder???
When I went to test the curve, I discovered a strange buzz coming from somewhere. Thought it was the power pack, thought maybe the loco, but testing on another piece of track produced no buzz.
The guys at the LHS were as mystified as I was. Coming home this afternoon I found the source of the problem. A non-DCC engine sitting way up the track!!!
Anyway, I made a lot of progress on the track work today. Here you see the beginning of the yard ladder - none of that track is actually spiked yet and needs straightening in a big way! The boxcars are there so I can see how many cars fit on the siding. I need the measurements for a yard track which will be the same length plus loco.
Separate names with a comma.