Gauge layout Party No 5!!!!!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jan 16, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Sunday Jan 16/05

Item no. 2 on my list: put down homasote. Status: Done!! :D

Next up, item no. 1 clouds on backdrop.
    After that, item no. 3 - lay track.
  2. trains1972

trains1972 Member

Here goes the first pictures of trees that were planted on my layout. I will have more next weekend hopefully plus the snow added to the top bunch of trees.
    The ground is ceiling to form the rock of the mountain it is painted and has dried grass on top of the paint and then snow on top of that. The picture color makes most of the rocks look white they are not that white I had to lighten the pictures to be able to see everthing. The front section is the same color as the rock in the back.
  3. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

Trains1972 those trees look beautiful, they sure add a lot of life to your layout. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see that mountain completely covered!

4. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Your trees look great! It is amazing what a little greenery can do for a layout.
  5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great Stuff so far!!! Nice work Trains1972...

Val: Sounds good too!! Are you going to have it all done by March?? :D :D
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

Status report.

The Grande Valley once again has a functioning layout.It is only 24 1/4" by 71 1/2" but it is fully functional if not very interesting at this time. :D

I figure a week of puttering around with this one will get a few fires started to either get going on the big layout or tear it down and do a much smaller one.

It feels good to be able to run a train again even if it is only chasing it's tail.
  7. N Gauger

Must be your train then!! "Chasing it's tail" is definatly a Catt thing :) :)

Glad to hear that you are working on it :) :)
  8. seanm

seanm Member

All strips cut for Helix...

Got all the strips of ply cut for my helix.

I did come across something "funny" about plywood.....something I will look for in the future. At a lumber yard I purchased 1/2" ACX plywood. I later needed another two sheets and went to a "Yard Birds" and purchased 1/2" ACX plywood. From the lumberyard it was 4 ply. From the Yard Birds it was 5 ply! I like the 5 Ply better and it was a couple of bux less... Odd...:confused:

Anyhow, here is a look at the stack of strips 4" wide ready to be cut int 16" long trapazoids with 22.5 degree angles on each end.

9. N Gauger

Woah - each loop is going to be 21 Ft circumference?? Cool!!!!

If My Trig is still good :)

360 Deg / 22.5 = 16 pcs per loop

16 " X 16 Pcs = 256"

256" / 12 = 21.3 Ft per loop :)

21.3 / 3.1416 = 6.7 Ft diameter - right????

Not Bad!!!!! :D :D :D
  10. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

I'll try and post some pics tonight, but I managed to start the following :

1. Painted another layer of plaster over the WS plastercloth
    2. Carved rock-faces on the ledge the track runs on
    3. Painted the tunnel mouth for the main line and the surrounding rock
    4. Painted the track for these areas
    5. Painted the base colour for the whole of the mountain area.

whew, I love having a snow day! got a load done

11. seanm

seanm Member

Geez.... I am not sure about the trig....

It is an 18.5" raidus with a 1 foot strait on each side.

That make is (2*3.14*18.5)+24"=140" per loop. Rise on each loop is about 3"(or a little less..) so 2.14% grade.
    as a guess, I think about 7 loops. 980" of track or ~82 feet or 32 pieces of flex track.

Long time since I did this sort of math, so I hope it is right.
  12. N Gauger

How are you coming back down??

I think you need to double track this :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  13. seanm

seanm Member

14. N Gauger

Just Kidding :D :D

That Track Plan is Great!!

Have Fun Building It!! :D :D
  15. TomPM

OK here is my progress or is it regress. I decided to start over with the rock walls. First step is to paint them white (again).

Attached Files:

16. TomPM

Here the view from the side.

I am going to try a new method I found in Model Railroader for colroing the rocks. This one invovles cosmetic sponges. (Do you think the wife will notice?) :eek: :D

Attached Files:

17. seanm

seanm Member

Cut all the long pieces into short pieces yesterday. Used a nice miter saw I borrowed from my uncle. Made short work of the cutting and was very accurate.

Now all I need is a buisquit jointer and some glue (and rods and ...and...and...

This is the layout of the loops of the helix. Need about 8 of these. One as a base and then 7 actually for track.

18. N Gauger

19. TomPM

Great progress Sean! :thumb: :D

Worked some more on the Passenger Station Diorama. I painted the stone abutment with Folk Art Linen. This is the first step in recoloring the stones. First I have to paint the stones the mortar color.

Attached Files:

20. TomPM

A view from the side.

Attached Files: