Gauge Layout party No. 4

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next steps are: Touch up the cab, install window glazing in the cab. Apply the new number and reattach the cab. Also I am contemplating adding a number board on the underside of the light like the LNE had on their 0-8-0 switchers. Also if I am daring I may move the bell from on top of the boiler to the front on the boiler above the light. I will then finish weathering the whole locomotive.

F

Fred_M

Sand Dryer Shack

HO scale sand shack I stuck together to go with one of my HO coaling towers. Also got some work done on Mikey's. Fred

ado.jpg

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
trains1972 your city is coming along very nicely. I can't wait to see it come to life when you add some LPB's and street details, it is going to look awesome. :thumb:

I haven't updated you guys on any of my progress since this party got started, so I will update you all on some of what I have gotten so far. Right now I am working on two 3' modules and have been making slow progress. (It is progress though, so I can't complain!) One module is going to be a small "town" if you want to call it that, and the other is going to have a truss bridge going across a river. Anywho, below is a shot of where I am on the river module. Right now I am trying to get my bridge to fit, and as you can see by my picture, there is still work to be done. I am also attempting to create my own abutments, I am not sure how well they will turn out, but it is worth a try.

Freelancer

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 93

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
I need some history help with the time period I am modeling. I hope some one could help. I am modeling 1920 to 1930. What kind of stuff did they have on the streets back then? What kind of lights, traffic signs, was there telephone poles and wires everywhere yet? It is a time of new technology the phone, electric lights, and cars were still a new invention.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Fred, nice scene!

Trains1972, give some time to do some looking around for some examples.

Here are a couple more progress pictures of the IHC LNE 0-8-0 switcher. I have repainted the cab with Folk Art Licorice to improve its look after removing the original number. I have also added window glazing. Next I added a Woodland Scenics engineer. I then reattached the cab to the boiler. I also gave the handrails their first coat of Folk Art Licorice.

Attachments

• gpj1g.jpg
    gpj1g.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 75

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I plan on giving the handrails another coat of black. I also will be applying number decals shortly. Then I will finish weathering the locomotive. I did not find any raised numbers I could use for the number board that is mounted under the headlight, so I am still deciding whether or not to add it.

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
The side walk is a 1/4" piece of styrene painted aged concrete with a piece of poster board glued under it. I cut under the sidewalk enough for a piece of an old blinds to slip under since the blinds are wider then the streets. The streets are actually cork roadbed painted grimmy black. I needed to raise the streets 1/4" to meet the top of the rails. The thickness of the blinds and cork comes out to 1/4". The poster board adds the extra thickness to the sidewalk to raise it up above the streets. Here is a picture that could explain it alittle better with the blinds and cork. The darker brown under the streets is the blinds. I hope that answers your question Tom.
IM001876.jpg

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I haven't made any progress on the N scale layout since last week.
I seem to have gotten side tracked by some new projects I picked up at the last train show.
My son and I have put together 31 pieces of rolling stock, (some from kits and others that needed trucks and couplers).
I also got 2 Athearn F7s rebuilt.

dash10 said:
The latest thing I built.
So, did you road test it?

It reminds me of the Utah Philips story about the guy that built a new outhouse and went in to road test it. When he came out, his buddy asked him how it worked. "Pretty good, except when I sat down, some loose change fell out of my pocket and down the hole." With that he turned around and threw a five dollar bill down the hole. "What the hell did you do that for?" he was asked. "You don't think I'm going down there for twenty three cents, do you?"

Wayne

F

Fred_M

Matthyro said:
Hey Fred, don't you have to have a quarter moon cut out in the door so others can see if it is occupied?

LOL Robin. The real reason for the moon was:

"Probably the most recognizable symbol associated symbol with the traditional outhouse building is the familiar crescent moon carved into the privy door. Actually, the symbol is an ancient one, and was a sign for womanhood in colonial days and on the frontier. It's male counterpart, Sol, was either a star or a sunburst design also on the door. Since most male outhouses fell into disrepair rather quickly they seldom survived; while the female ones were better maintained, and were eventually used by both sexes. Although you can find outhouses still standing with the crescent moon, the original meaning for gender identification was lost by the later nineteenth century in most areas of the country."