Gauge Layout party No. 4

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Me?

I still looking for a parking space so I can attend the party. :D

Actually since I have finished most of the MOW cars I was working now I will begin the work on the 0-8-0 switcher. I still am working on the 200 ton crane and will do so when I need a break from the switcher.

I have done some research on the LNE and found that they did have a 0-8-0 switcher numbered 135. For some reason the website I looked at said it was a 0-8-2 but I can’t see any trailing trucks in the photos. They had several numbered in the one thirties so I will pick a number in that group. The IHC 0-8-0 is not an exact match and I have not looked into how much would be needed to convert the model into match for the prototype. Right now it is close enough for me. Some day when I am more adventurous who knows.

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
I haven't decided if I should pave the road or make it a dirt road.
Ray, just a thought.......

what about using a coarse dark grey ballast and making it a gravel road with maybe some tire ruts that show the brown dirt path you currently have? Don't know how complicated that would be, but I think it would look awesome! Just my 2 cents:D

R/
-doc

F

Fred_M

Today we went for a boat ride. Snapped a picture of an old coaling tower. Fred

acy.jpg

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I made some progress today.(I think)
I spread some ballast and put down some dirt that I sifted last week.
I had a little problem with the die from the old grass that was already on the layout bleeding onto the roads and ballast.
I may have to use the air brush and touch things up after everything is dry.

Attachments

• Oct10004.JPG
    Oct10004.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 138

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Nice job on the flag station Mikey!

I finally worked some on the LNE 0-8-0 switcher. I changed the couplers to Kadee #5’s. I also weathered the tender trucks and am almost finished weathering the tender wheels. Next is painting some of the silver railings on the tender and weathering the tender body. Once the tender is weathered I can do something about the coal load. I still need a trip to the LHS to get some numbers and engineer figures for the project.

Here it is with the new couplers
axo.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Wow! Two nights in a row that I got to work on the switcher.

I have now finished weathering the trucks and wheels on the tender. I then added a few small touches of rust to the tender body. I painted the railing on the rear of tender black. Lastly I dry brushed some grime marks on the tender body.

axp.jpg

axq.jpg

axr.jpg

Next up is going over the tender with a wash. I have been experimenting with airbrushing weathering overspray. I will most likely go over the tender with an overspray to help blend the weathering together.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next I will over spraying some charcoal gray along the bottom of the tender to show splash along the bottom. I will also over spray the top of the tender with licorice to simulate soot.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I gave the bottom of the tender an over spray of Folk Art charcoal gray and the top of the tender an over spray of Folk Art Licorice. I then sealed it with Dullcoat.

Attachments

• gpe1g.jpg
    gpe1g.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 98