Gauge Boxcar-World Tour '03

Paul Davis

Better late than never. It's been a month since I took these but here they are.

Heading into town...

Attachments

• im000366.jpg
    im000366.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 165
  • im000366.jpg
    im000366.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 165

rockislandmike

FINALLY!!!! Had some considerable computer problems, then camera problems, then card problems. But got 'em all straightened away now, and am running Windows XP to boot.

Here are the first two photos of the Gauge car on the Wheat Kings & Pacific layout. GAUG 105371 is following ATSF 1236 as it heads past C. Elizabeth Flora Corp. in Tucumcari NM. The plan is for it to be interchanged in Dodge City, and head out on a Rock Island train, due northeast towards Illinois. The rest of the pics should be posted tomorrow as it tours the remainder of my layout.

gaugetour1.jpg

gaugetour2.jpg

rockislandmike

Well, the lighting turned out not very good (I really should have added another light), but, at any rate, here's the rest of the pics as the Gauge boxcar continues its whirlwind tour of the Wheat Kings & Pacific.

(1) The Gauge boxcar is set out in Dodge City, and the Santa Fe mixed freight starts moving out.

gaugetour_xchange.jpg

(2) A few hours later, Rock Island 38, led by #4794 (an EMD SD40-2), picks up the boxcar in Dodge City, and heads towards Amarillo.

gaugetour_xchange2.jpg

(3) Now in Amarillo, train 38 has set out a boxcar at Progress Railservices, and is reconnecting to a CN centerbeam flatcar, and the rest of its cars.

gaugetour_amarillo.jpg

(4) Here the train crosses over what will be Redrock Canyon (currently it looks more like the River of Woodlands Risers).

gaugetour_bridge.jpg

(5) Last pic on the Wheat Kings and Pacific, as the boxcar heads towards Illinois on its next stop on the world tour. Here it passes Lee Cement in Herington KS.

gaugetour_herington.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
OK, it's 12:13 AM Wednesday, October 29. The gauge boxcar was sitting on the front porch when I got home. I should have known, when I committed to the next three days, that it would arrive now! It will probably be Friday morning before the Cindys Harbor dispatcher can route it to its first stop. I'll get pictures up ASAP.
Pete

P.S. The CH shops will take action on the containers, they didn't all survive U.S. Customs. Folks have to remember that to a U.S.Postal Service employee, a 12" X 12" x 6" box...is a football!!
PJ

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Mike,
I don't think "popcorn" would have helped much. Three of the six have coins in them, for weight. Folded 20lb paper can't support that much weight, when USPS is handling the package.
I should be able to effect repairs, and make the containers just a bit stronger. My LPBs at the shipyard are really pretty good workers, slow, but good.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Whew...Thought it was lost!
Two months to get back across the border!
I'd liked to see the customs agent's face when he opened that package, unless he was a model railroader.
Anyway Pete....PM'd you with the next address.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
After picking up the local at the NY&A interchange, Cindys Harbor east bound crosses the Kennequogue river with GAUG105371.

Attachments

• gaug105371.jpg
    gaug105371.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 151

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
A quick run down to the grade crossing catches BL20-2 #3055, and a JGL hopper. Signal maintainers, who didn't want to be photographed, were on site because of a malfunctioning crossing gate.

Attachments

• at crossing.jpg
    at crossing.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 145

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The containers were sent up on the SM&CH branch to the coaling tower, on the SHS&D narrow gauge industrial line. There, they were transferred to some D&RGW flats borrowed from the Railroad museum, to then be moved to the shops at the shipyard for repairs.

Attachments

• cntnrs3.jpg
    cntnrs3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 138