Gatorfoam - Canadian Source

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Do any Canadian gauge members know a source for 3/16" sheets of Gatorfoam in the Toronto area (or anywhere for that matter)? Curry's carries the 1/2" sheets, but this is far too thick for scratchbuilding walls (which is what I want to use it for).

TIA

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
bigdonnie said:
Do any Canadian gauge members know a source for 3/16" sheets of Gatorfoam in the Toronto area (or anywhere for that matter)? Curry's carries the 1/2" sheets, but this is far too thick for scratchbuilding walls (which is what I want to use it for).

TIA
Don't know specifically about Canada, but I found some 3/16" foam board (Elmer's) in Wal-Mart. I bought a sheet in my LHS for around $6 for a 20" x 30" sheet. The next day I was in Wal-Mart and found the same stuff there in their office supply department selling for $4 a sheet. :cry:

Oh yeah, I also found some in Office Max and at Michael's. Don't know if you have any of those in your area.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Try www.gatorfoam.com and contact them for a distributor list. They also have some really interesting related products, including one with (poly)styrene facing that would not need an additional face - you could theoretically glue it together just like styrene.

Andrew

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks Andrew. I didn't realize that Alcan made this product and, as you said, they make an amazing array of composite materials. Sent them a note asking for names of distributors and I'll share this once I get it.

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Glen:

Are you sure that it was Gatorfoam and not just standard form board? I've purchased foam board there several times, but I've never seen Gatorfoam. Gatorfoam has actual wood plys rather than just paper.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference. I'm building a mining complex right now using foam board with basswood laminated overtop. Both came from Micheals. I figure the foam board will provide a good strong structure.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
bigdonnie said:
Glen:

Are you sure that it was Gatorfoam and not just standard form board? I've purchased foam board there several times, but I've never seen Gatorfoam. Gatorfoam has actual wood plys rather than just paper.
Geeze, sorry, I didn't know the difference either. I thought foam board was foam board. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: I've never seen "Gatorfoam" then based on it having wood plys, so forget what I said. :rolleyes: :D

R Writt

Apr 28, 2006
Gatorfoam can be purchased in the Toronto area at the store "Aboveground Art Supplies," 74 McCall St., Toronto. This store is next to the Ontario College of Art. When I was there yesterday, I remembered this thread and inquired about it.

3/16 x 32 x 40 in sheets cost $ 23.99 (cnd) for white and $ 25.99 for black.

Bob

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks very much Bob --- this is very much appreciated. This is very close to where I work, so I will definitely make a point of picking up a sheet.

I had found out from Alcan (the manufacturer) that their Toronto area distributor was in Mississauga. Although the distributor will sell direct to the consumer, the minimum amount is a 4' x 8' sheet for $50 (and that's ALOT of scratchbuilding! <G>). This is a much better option.

FYI --- you can go onto Alcan Composite's site and request free samples. I did this and this product is awesome as my kids would say. It is much, much stiffer than standard foam board --- the outer layers are wood rather than cardboard. It is very difficult to bend.

Thanks again.