Garden Track: ground level or raised?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Meiriongwril, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

For Garden railroaders, what d'ya feel are the pros and cons of ground level versus raised track? I'm starting an SM32 (i.e. 1:19 16mm scale) garden railway, and would prefer to have raised track - but would like to hear the arguments!
    As some of the locos are live steam, I'd like to do the raising of steam on a higher level to aid in the various adjustments to be made!
    For those choosing raised track - which system of raising the track bed is best?
  2. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I'm in the process of bulding a raised layout in the backyard. I'm lining it with 4x4's (side by side vertical) to create the border and then I'm going to back fill it with lots n lots of dirt for 18" of vertical rise.
  3. oldtamiyaphile

oldtamiyaphile New Member

When I eventually build my line, I want to be able to enjoy it for as long as possible. If I make it to 80+ years of age my joints will surely thank me for elevating, or failing that, excavating access points in.

Plus trains look so cool at (closer to) eye level.
  4. gbbari

gbbari New Member

Garden layout: ground level or raised

While the original question was asked in 2008 and the decision probably already made - here is my 2 cents.

If you are truly looking for a garden railroad where the garden is the priority and the railroad designed to compliment the garden, then whatever garden design you prefer should rule the day. If you PREFER a raised garden whether or not you have trains, go for it. But if your gardening angel is telling you to keep it at ground level then that's where the trains should go too.

Having said that, there is sage advise here about getting older and the physical limitations that often come with advancing years. Not only is bending down more difficult, but eyesight often suffers such that seeing and working with details on anything much below your line of sight is difficult at best and near impossible at worst. So if you can design a raised garden that meets your gardening aspirations, it will be far easier to add trains and related scenery.