Garden O

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by catbert, Sep 20, 2008.

1. catbert

catbert New Member

Has anyone here done a garden O layout? I've been thinking (and talking) about it for years, and I'm about to jump. Any experiences here?:twisted: I've been kicking this around for a couple years, and now I'm relocating to a climate that won't melt my project. I'm using Gargrave, and I'm thinking I'd better start small so I'm only a little over my head.:confused:
  2. Geno

Geno Member

I suppose the stainless Gargraves track would work, provided you used a wood preservative on the ties or if GG has s/s track with plastic ties. You would aslo have to mount the track on a stable base, like stone, trex or a roadbed of crushed rock, and make sure you had good drainage. I 've considered doing the same myself, but using Atlas code 148 2-rail (it has UV-treated plastic ties).

David Hikel uses O gauge Gargraves on his outdoor layout- a very nice O gauge outdoor setup. David Vergun over at the OGR Forum uses handlaid track on wooden ties for his outdoor O gauge layout and seems to have had good success.

3. catbert

catbert New Member

That's exactly what the Gargrave folks told me. Thanks for the great link - nice layout!
  4. i have been planning on doing this same thing. im already big into o gauge, and did not want to get into a 3rd scale like G, (im into N scale as well as O now) i already have lots of o scale engines and rolling stock. all i would need to do is by some outside track, and maybe a bigger better transformer then what i have now.
  5. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Outdoor railroading in the smaller scales (smaller than G), while feasible, has seldom been found to be worth the effort in the long run.

At least in O there is UV treated material for the track. But the cars and locomotives are not UV resistant - especially the paint - and will deteriorate if left outside between operating sessions. The plastic itself will degrade with UV exposure - but after the paint fades.

The second issue is keeping the track clean enough for electrical contact and pickup. Again, the smaller the scale, the worse leaves, dust, small organisms and other challenges affect the electrical side of the track connection. Be prepared to clean track weekly, and a real big cleaning after the winter season (even ones without snow). Many of our G brethren have switched to radio-controlled battery power to get rid many of the electrical hassles. This is not as easy or as practical in O.

Not to say it can't be done - it can. It's just that outdoor model railroading in O has significant inconveniences to consider.

my thoughts, your choices
  6. oldtamiyaphile

oldtamiyaphile New Member

O Gauge is very popular for garden lines in the UK, but they do tend to be elevated, thus reducing the problem with debris.

Paint will deteriorate even if not left outdoors, operating exposure to the sun will be enough in time, but I would not leave G scale models outside when not operating either. At least O is easier to transfer. I have a few models that have faded despite never being exposed to direct sun.

R/C is easy in O if you're modeling mainline locos. An RX and ESC can be about the size of a thumb, and lithium cells can fit into small spaces while still leaving plenty of capacity. These days people are running R/C in HO locos.

I'd have a look at what they're doing in the UK, buy a small loop of track and build something minimal. In the end that's the only way to know if it will work for you.
  7. catbert

catbert New Member

Great points, thanks