gap in roof

I didn't get a good bond on the center of the roof, and now there is a long gap. How do I fill it without goo dripping out other side? I eventually want to light this building, and want no gaps.

Attachments

• pitt1.jpg
    pitt1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 165

Ray Marinaccio

I would spread paintable Latex caulking on the inside of the seam with my finger, then if any comes through to the outside it can be wiped off with a damp cloth before it dries and then paint it after it dries.

Woodie

I've use "Bluetak" for that sorta thing. You know, that plastacine type stuff "chewing gum" type stuff you use a little piece in each corner of pics and posters to put them on windows and walls.

And for lighted building etc, I don't glue the roof on, but just hold it in place with "bluetak" too.

Most pitched roofs have a ridge cap or ridge vent running the length of the roof. In the prototype, it's to let vented air escape and keep rain out. It covers a gap between the roof planes. See, your gap is keeping to the prototype, you just haven't covered it with the ridge cap yet.

Find some long, thin angled material to cap it with or make it with very thin styrene.

Wayne

RailRon

I had the same problem and solved it like Wayne suggests by adding an angled strip along the ridge. Real roofs have such a ridge on almost every building. I always use thin cardboard for this. (Cereal boxes are ideal for this - ask Matthyro! :D :D :D )

Woodie - you saved my day! I have one building which drives me crazy, because the roof keeps sliding off whenever I give it a hard look. Why didn't I think about these sticky tabs before??? Thanks for the tip, mate! :thumb:

Ron

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
You could try taping the inside with aluminum tape - the kind for dryer and range hood vents. It will block the light, and also provide a backing for whatever you fill the gap with. If it's a resin casting, try putting baking soda in the gap, and then cementing it with liquid CA. You can also use the old standby - Squadron Green putty, but be sure to work in a well ventilated area.

Andrew