Game-model contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Ho-kay peoples, time to spill my idea for a contest.

Da concept: Build and detail a model from a game. Either computer games or board games are acceptable, but it must be from a game of some sort. No worries if it's a common game or obscure, fantasy or simulator, it just has to be a game model.

Da timeframe: The contest will run from Today, January 15th at 12:00 pm Central time until April 15th at 12:00 pm Central time. Judging will commence immediately upon the close of the contest and will end on April 30th at (how'd you know?) 12:00 pm. No whining to extend the deadline, please; I figure that's more than enough time to choose you entry and build it up. :wink:

Da rules:

#1: It must have originated from a game. (d'uh!)

#2: If it was a computer game, the model must have been generated out of a ripped game file, or in leiu of one it can be a fan-made model, but it must resemble the in-game object(i.e., no smoothing of the polygons, updating the textures, etc.). If the kit you're building it out of is designed from a *cutscene* however, you can use a more detailed model since cutscene models tend to be more detailed in older games, in accordance with rules 4 and 5.

#2a: If it's based on a sprite(i.e., a pictoral, 2D image instead of a full-blown 3D object), you can use a detailed model, again in accordance with rules 4 and 5.

#3: If it came from a table-top game, identify the game it's from and what the model is supposed to be. Some table-top games have transcended to the digital world, so if there is a distinction between them(such as the Mad Cat of the Battletech universe; different games have altered the original design), then specify whether this is the original design or something from a computer game.

#4: Games based on Real Life objects (such as Axis and Allies' miniatures) cannot be represented by highly-detailed and accurate kits; in other words, if it's innaccurate in the game, the entry must carry those inaccuracies.

#5: Some layering and laminating is permissible so long as it doesn't override the in-game model/miniature's detail.

#6: If you desire a model which has no paper equivalent and wish to design and build one, you must have started it by the beginning of the contest. Designs started before the contest but which haven't been finished are not eligible.

#7: Only one (1) entry per person

#8: Label your build threads as follows: "Game model entry *******" where the asterisks stand for your models name. Post any reference pics available as well.

Da prizes: Recognition and the great feeling that your model rose to the top and was deemed by the public to be "veeery aw-sum" and "uber-kewel" and all that jazz, and maybe a very cool award plaque. However, if there are donations toward this contest, I will put them into the mix as well. There are three levels of achievement:

1st place
    2nd place
    3rd place

Votes will determine the placement of the finalists.

Well that's that! Fingers crossed!! :mrgreen:
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

Are we talking a new model, or one that someone else has already designed and you just print, cut and glue?

Also, if we are accepting models we didn't design, does that include models that we've already built, or only ones that we start after the start of the contest?

Also, multiple entries per person?
  3. seth crofton

seth crofton Member

sounds great. is there a limit to how many models? cause since i did the wyvern i have found more ace combat craft. also does re coloring count as a new design(rule 4). Dont mean to trivialize but I just want to make sure one could not take an existin gdesign (f-15) and then re color it to match a game desing and then be able to enter it. From reading rule 4 I would assume that one would have to redesign the f-15 and then color it to match. If that is not correct please let me know I dont wish to violate any rules.

And great Idea I am looking forward to this.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Sounds like an awesome contest.
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

I thought it would be a good idea Stev0, since a lot of free models are converted computer game files, and so many table-top games(Warhammer 40k, OGRE, Battletech, etc.) have a bunch of cool designs just begging to be made into models.

I'm going to put a limit on one entry per person, to avoid a sweeping victory.

Great question: I'm going to say in that case that you can use the Wyvern, since IIRC it's designed from the game images, but you didn't add anything the vehicle's CGI model didn't already have. If you can find an existing design and successfully recolor it to match the in-game fighter, I don't have a problem with it. Just don't use a color scheme that isn't available as a skin in the game. And if, say, the model you're building has extra bits, like the actuator housings on the F/A-18, that aren't modeled in the game, then you must exclude them, and if they are there but simplified, then yours must be simplified as well.

The point of this contest is to match as closely as possible the original game model you're trying to replicate.

In the interests of fairness to people wanting to start a new project, I'm going to say you can't enter a model that you've already built up.

It can either be a new model or one that someone else designed.

(third question answered above . . . )
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It seems I fit this contest. I have 3 ideas I am researching that are from games (tabletop games) that I am designing.

All would be easily recognizable too but the rules would make these ineligible.
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

So . . . um . . .

Any takers besides those guys? :confused:
  8. legion

legion Member

I am new here, but what if i already have made a 3d model before entering the contest, think several years before, would that still be allowed? The model i have in mind already has a 3d model (that needs some work to be unfolded), but it is from a game.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

If you mean a computer-generated 3D model, then it's fine, especially if it's from a game. :)

21 days and counting, people. Let me know what you're working on, so I can get an idea of what's going on with this contest.
  10. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

You did ace combat models?Do you still have the Wyvern?Because I'm looking for it for a long time.It is a good game(yep,still playing).

And,about the contest,anyone know a good unfolding program that can be saved to a specific file(pdf,jpg,etc.)?I don't want pepakura(not free).I'll try designing a game model,probably aircraft.And,yes,I'm in the contest.If I didn't manage to complete the model on the dateline,consider myself disqualified,okay?

11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hi MF...I just caught this skimming the front page. MOST EXCELLENT idea for a contest, and one that could easily be / should be, an annual event.?!! ~ I'm really sorry I'm unable to support/enter this one (life obstacles)

Umm..... considering 'game' popularity, the wealth of subjects begging to be Dev'D/built, not to mention the shear number of game related subjects already used/ripped/converted into card models, I'm astounded your not up to page 35 by this stage !?!?!? = ( extract digits from body orifices)

Please don't be disgruntled by the lack of support. Given time to grow, I think this could be something BIG. Perhaps even some of the game developers might be encourage (cajoled) into supporting it ~ After all, we fill a unique niche supporting/promoting THEIR fan community (product) .... that's of course if our community was cohesive enough to support you.. ):

Phooowweee... I've got a bunch of stuff that I'd have loved to have blown the dust off.. [Sniff] wall1
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

Gearz, OT, love your avatar! Probably my favorite "trilogy" of all time.

13. Gearz

Gearz Member

What's Six times Seven?

OT sorry MF:rolleyes:

Texman.. Yep mine as well ~ had me in tears the first time i read them ~ Thank you Mr Adams!. I'm looking forward to be able to finish these one day.
    * From original BBC HG2G TV series.

Attached Files:

14. Millenniumfalsehood

Heh, no problem Gearz. :wink: I'm thinking about extending the deadline till after Wonderfest anyway, since I'll be working on several entries until then and I want to keep my attention (or what little of it remains after college in the mornings) focused on that.

In any case, I think I'll try it again eventually after this one is over.

Btw (and this is totally in keeping with my knack for derailing my own threads), I love those models for HGttG, and I'd love to see models from the newer movie. Probably the funniest set of books ever written. :mrgreen:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.