Galloping Goose

shamus

Registered Member
I guys, I need your help, I am looking for photo's of a Galloping Goose so I can scratchbuild one for my HO layout.
I would need pictures side on, front on, and rear view.
Also what kind of car bodies were used on the front end. Can these bodies be bought in HO scale, if so, where from.

As I live in the UK, I have never seen one, only in magazines, but never sideways on so I could see to make it.
Any help would be appreciated

shamus
cool.gif

Shamus, the D&RGR Railway Museum in Golden Colorado,has a book on all the Geese, with many pictures, & "plans"for # 2. Republic Locomotive Works in Seattle, Washington used to make HO etched brass bodies for # 2 & 5 or 7.They don't anymore, but you might find one lying about on the net. Trains West in Albuquerque, New Mexico (505)881-2322 --Warren Hatch-- might still have some . I have the book if you want some copies of some pics in it let me know & I'll help you. I scratch built a "goose" along the lines of # 2(not a total goose but similar) using a National Motors Packard sedan body (modified) & the box & all else scratched, including the rear wheels. You can use N scale wheels in the front if you put longer axles in them. Good luck 7 from what I've seen of your work it will be a beauty!

------------------
L V Dave

Shamus , Did not notice you asked what body they used, actually several. The most popular # 2 was a 29-30 -31 ? Pierce Arrow, one I think had a 30-31 Buick ,& of course the bus body .

------------------
L V Dave

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Dave, Thanks for the info, now need to find the body to make one.

Hi Rich, Shamus's Goose, I LOVE it. thanks a lot. Just leave that on for a while, might need to look at that again.

Hey, thanks guys, just what I was looking for.Now I need to find out where to buy the BUS BODY from in HO. Anyone any idea's. Maybe the address of the place, phone number,or website.

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-05-2001).]

Shamus, Are you talking about the GMC or similar bus body they used? If you are ,I have one of Republics' Photo etched ones ,unbuilt. He is not doing them any more, at least when I talked to him 3--4 years ago, decided there was more money in N scale. I can't find his phone number, it was not listed except under his name & I don't remember it anymore.The one I have was some of the last he did & had quite a few pinholes (Really tiny) in it I sent it back, waited 2 years for him to make a new run, finally called & he said he was not going to do any more. I had him send it back & I have it somewhere. I really found AFTER I got it that I did not like the bus Goose that well . This "kit" is usable ,the holes aren't that bad. If you want it , think I gave 30$ for it, you can have it for that. It should be able to be mailed in a H/D envelope so that's nothing to speak of. Let me know.------Dave

------------------
L V Dave

shamus

Registered Member
Hey Dave,
Is that an etched brass one, is the bus complete with goose rear end, or is it just the bus body complete, let me know please.
shamus

Shamus, I think it has a freight box body as well as the bus. It's been a while since I've looked at it. It's in storage with a bunch of other excess "stuff" that I just can't live without but haven't seen in a year or two. I was looking for my book on Geese, I know it is here in the house among the Magazines so I'll find it soon . I wanted to check in it cause I think the bus Goose had more than one box on it .First a freight box then an excursion. Yes , It is etched brass -----Dave

------------------
L V Dave

Easy for you to say, Shamus! You don't have to find it. O.K. I will get to the storage unit & find it , it will be a few days before I can. My son wrecked his Jeep 2 weeks ago Friday, nothing serious & he didn't get hurt, but it's laid up ,so he is using my car. I am , for now on foot, it Sucks! I'll post here as soon as I know. Cheers, Dave

------------------
L V Dave

Virginian

Hey Shamus...I have several ref. books to check out..one is mine, and Fulton Station, 'my' train shop, has a number of 'vintage rail' type books ...I'll take a look and try to get you some photos, pronto.
VGN

Virginian

shamus, haven't found what I was looking for yet...can you give me some information on the 'Geese'..? there are several books on railroad/logging that I have been looking at... but a precise time period would be helpful. And more than a vague memory that I've read that 'nick name' somewhere would be helpful to know what I'm looking for! Some one told me yesterday theat they were kinda like tram cars??? I'll keep looking and then get 'em posted as soon as I can.
VGN

Virginian, The Geese were Rail cars used by the Denver & Rio Grande Western from sometime around the Depression till probably in the 50's . There was so little freight traffic that a train with a loco was too expensive to run, but they had mail contracts to fulfill. They cobbled together a beast consisting of a 30-31 Pierce Arrow sedan on rail wheels hooked (Built as one unit)to a 20 ft. box for mail & freight. They went on to build several more in various styles.

------------------
L V Dave

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Guys, got hold of a model A ford Van, I think it might just do as the front half of my goose. Might have to put in a few more windows as it only has two side and front at the moment.
Oh dear, more damn work to do.
rolleyes.gif

Shay2

Shamus,
I located a source for spoked wheels for the Goose.
The Bachmann "DeWitt Clinton" has spoked wheels and will work, but they are plastic.
Also, Marklin has railcars with metal spoked wheels.
I do have a slight problem with getting the juice back to the motor, so metal is the only way for me. Unfortunately, the Marklin's are a new item and sell for $30 a car...ouch !
So far I've turned up 11 different configurations of Galloping Geese. Some are flat-bed haulers, some buses, others are a
4-4-4 combo of bus/trailer/flatbed.
You've struck up an interest in an oddity....I'm enjoying the search and my own attempt to build this one.

Rich

Rush Run River Logging Co.

Shamus , Was I sleepwalking or is there a post from you gone or was that someone posting under your name? You probably are going to have a Goose Bus body from me as soon as I find it , most likely next week. Also if they sell the National Motors kits in the U.K. the Packard Sedan works well if you like I'll send you a Pic of how mine turned out. I also have found my copy of Tin Feathers & Gasoline Fumes, could send you the whole book if you will send it back when you are done. Let me know about that mystery post will you?

------------------
L V Dave