Galleon San Salvador 1:33

PaperAir

I am happy to see you just posting again. I feel like a window in the house was open, and cold ear was coming in. You posting feels like someone closed the window and now the place is all buttoned up! :)
felt good to have some time to do something besize doctors.

silveroxide

Thanks for the reference on the galleons from revell, they will come in handy when IIget to the rigging. Get better soon and hope to see your works in progress soon.

Z

Zathros

These threads are really going to be a boon to anyone building this model. Great stuff going on here! :)

PaperAir

Thanks for the reference on the galleons from revell, they will come in handy when IIget to the rigging. Get better soon and hope to see your works in progress soon.
your welcome if you need a picture fo a certian thing let me know and i,ll try and find it for you.

silveroxide

your welcome if you need a picture fo a certian thing let me know and i,ll try and find it for you.

The cannons, how many? where they four wheels, two wheels or sliding cradles. the plans have two gun ports but I have seen references to 10 cannons, 5 for each side. and the possibilities of wheeled cannons in the rear covered areas, Life boat and a cover for that big open hatch. Also the swivel small cannons which were usually mounted at the aft deck.:wave:

silveroxide

Thanks, The first photo is of the early cannon carriages with the two wheels. Those in the photo are over simplified but is close to what the gunports would accommodate, plus the size of the crew standing by the rails make this version feasible. The bottom is of a full size royal Galleon with the lifeboat stored width wise. In this smaller galleon, I believe the lifeboat was stored centered front to rear. But the last photo showed something I totally forgot, the water bilge pumps next to the center main mast. I am still gathering more stuff, before I start to close up the sides. I need to do these things first

silveroxide

Those were used on small boats like a dinghy but I got the one I will use These fall within the time frame. Thanks and I will save it in my files for another small gun boat.

Attachments

• EarlyCoulevrines.jpg
    EarlyCoulevrines.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 32
  • dsc_0258_247.jpg
    dsc_0258_247.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 32

silveroxide

That is a good reference photo of the ship and it has two gunports. but the dinghy is front to rear as I envisioned it, and slightly of center to the port side. Thanks for the pic.

Z

Zathros

I imagine this ship must have changed it's appearance often during it's life and during it's missions. Scary thin g to imagine being on a dingy with someone pointing a Blunderbuss, mounted on a pivot at you!! :)

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Interesting details on coulevrines (colibrinas in Portuguese). One of the most interesting aspects of this light gun was the use of a breech, quite obvious on the one dated form 1460 in the last image.
The other coulivrine dated from 1440 "coulivrine a main" translates for handgun, meaning an infantry weapon muzzle loaded. It would surprise if used on board ships.
Last year I took some shots in Museu Militar en Lisbon of colibrinas dating from the XV century. The breech is missing but it is easy to understand how it worked. The metal triangular edge was destiend to lock the breech safe in place.

Attachments

• colibrina-01.jpg
    colibrina-01.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 34
  • colibrina-02.jpg
    colibrina-02.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 90
  • colibrina-03.jpg
    colibrina-03.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 81
  • colibrina-04.jpg
    colibrina-04.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 29

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
There was also a lighter built gun called a "berço" (direct translation= cradle). I would say it is from a later period than the XVth century. The breech is still in place.
I suspect that the cavity at the end of the gun would serve as attachement for a wooden pole to help as a butt.
The "berço" seems to be casted in bronze whilst the colibrina was in iron.
The Museu Militar of Lisbon has an appearance of a palace, but it was in fact an armory from the XIth century. The cellar still retains the original characteristics. Probably when built would be at ground floor and near the beach. Ships geting ready to sail would come here to load weapons and ammunitions.

Attachments

• berco-01.jpg
    berco-01.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 30
  • berco-02.jpg
    berco-02.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 27
  • berco-03.jpg
    berco-03.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 25

carlos filipe

carlos filipe
Just found a photo from a handgonne, displayed in the same Museum. It is in the hall dedicated to the civil war 1382-1384 and the subsquent invasion by Castilla (the kingdom that conquered everything in the Iberian Peninsula except Portugal). I read about the limited use of firemarms in this period. It is out of this thread, but thought interesting to show how it looked the first light weapons. Actually they started to appear in Europe already in the end of the XIIIth century.

Attachments

• HPIM5135.jpg
    HPIM5135.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5136.jpg
    HPIM5136.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 36