Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bgt01, Jul 7, 2015.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the encouragement. May your shirts never be red, may your phasers always be charged, and may your grain always be safe from Tribbles!
I was just thinking, what might have been if the Borg had assimilated the Tribbles... And what would they have looked like?
When they tried to assimilate the Tribbles, they sent Locutus, it was a failure, as the Tribbles assimilated the Borg. Below is a picture of what resulted.
I guess there were only two ways into that ship. I guess you would really hope your "away team" got the right, and not the rear end. Every woman I ever dated had a tribble of some sort, that they were very attached too.
Especially those that use batteries ....
Oh those loved little fur balls...
I'm thirsting for some progress...
Ask and ye shall receive, @Revell-Fan
I still haven’t found anything to make a good bubble out of for the nacelle end caps. So for now I’ve trimmed the original ends to fit flush against the inner core of the nacelles and glued them in. This will match Galileo’s nacelles as they actually have recessed ends and the the bubbles stick out.
To add the support piece I had to cut it in half to clear the doors. I installed it the same as the starboard side but it was a bit trickier because the door hole made the side want to flex and bend.
I had to cut sections out of the center section on both sides of the doors to account for the new door frame I created. I also had to use my hobby knifes to shave away a section out of each craft stick support piece for the door frame to fit into. This allowed the side to attach flush at the centerline.
For the lower panels of the door frame I cut off the tabs and edge glued them to the inner hull skin. Since I didn’t use the original door parts, I had to plug the holes left on the upper door frame. After slightly closing the doors to make sure I had enough clearance I took some scrap matching color card and edge glued it into the frame. Then I used my precision scissors to trim off the excess. This worked well because it made sure the pieces fit the frame without having to deal is gaps or parts that don’t quite match up at gluing time.
I scrapped my my original plan to use magnets to open and close the doors. I couldn’t find any locally that would work and it started to seem over-engineered for this design. I settled on putting two very small holes at the door edges with my metal pick which lets me open and close the doors pretty easily. I put the holes in the red strip to help hide them. If I were doing another model I’d design it with a removable roof so I could see the interior and somehow open the doors from the inside.
I attached the door step using the original card flap and gluing it to the outside hull skin. This works OK, but I wish I’d been smart enough to come up with something better. As is, it leaves a bit of a gap toward the rear and I’m not sure how long the flap will hold up under repeated opening. With the door design I have I can position the doors so the edge of the step goes in slightly behind them when closed. That keeps the step up.
Lastly, I added raised details for the “Push” button and red panel on the hull. I also added a filler piece of scrap card to cover the centerline support. Then I added the wing.
Time to attach the sides! Each side has a little outline that shows where the main body attaches. I did several test fits to check alignment. I put a line of paper craft gel glue right up to the edge of the outline and several lines of glue back and forth through the center. I paid close attention to how things lined up with the front section, especially since I still have to design a strip of the centerline. I think things are looking good so far.
On a side note, anyone else notice the design similarities between the Galileo and the Executive Shuttle from “ST IV” and “Generations?” Galileo always caught flack because the design wasn’t aerodynamic, but 20+ years later a similar design (scalloped edges, rear engine area, boxey shape, stubby wings) pops up. Funny how things come around.
There are two ways to make the construction more stable: Either add some triangular supports to the bottom of the step to prevent it from sagging or cut a hole into the fuselage, push the step through it and glue it to the back side like I did with the opening tab of the Aurora hatch:
Look Fantastic! All those extras your doing are really paying off! Better than the original version that I built.
Get some two part steel epoxy and roll up some Bussard collectors. If you get them really round, you could mount one of the balls to a stick before it gets hard, then mount that to a vice, or whatever, and heat some plastic blister packing over the stove and pull it over, boomchakalaka, Hemispheres!
nacelle cap bubbles. clear marbles with amber lights from e-candles flickering, a push molded picnic plate plastic for the dome lit as you like, electronic panel light domes with stripes on them in amber. push pins in clear plastic, modeling clay molds, fill with glue, peel off and sand the glue dome. ends of pens.
Sorry for the long delayed update. Had a lot of warm weather home projects that had to be worked on. However, I have made some progress. Another trip to Hobby Lobby got me the perfect ends for my nacelles. These are 10mm half-round pearl beads from In Bloom. Cheap and easy fix!
Separate names with a comma.