G scale what is

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Rogerjr, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Rogerjr

Rogerjr New Member

What is the biggest engine there is do they make a 4-8-8-4? thanks for reading this

2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Roger. This 4-8-8-4 belongs to a friend of mine in Abbotsford Canada. I saw it on a trip to Canada to visit him. Sorry the picture doesn't show the whole engine but it is the only picture of it on his web. It is G Scale for his garden layout.
  3. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Sorry. Forgot to post the picture

Attached Files:

4. Rogerjr

Rogerjr New Member

That is a big engine i was just curious to see if somebody actually had one.

5. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Yes, 4-8-8-4 should be the largest, well for electric; for live-steam I've seen one in that scale also, but I think it was hand made. For commercal sales, the largest I've seen is a Challenger. I believe Aster makes one, but last time I checked they wanted around $22,000 for it.

Have fun,

6. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Sorry, It is a Big Boy 4-8-8-4. I tried to load a picture for you, but the picture is to big.

Thank You,

7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Ive seen the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy It's "huge" LOL about 4 foot long "Cowcatcher to rear coupler of tender. It's Live Steam & it's price can be anywhere from $15,000 - $20,000 US :eek: :eek:
  8. 3railguy

3railguy Member

I just got my MTH Railking Gauge 1 catalog and they are doing a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. The MSRP is $1299.95 with Protosounds-2 or $1099.95 without sounds. It will have a polycarbonate plastic boiler. I do not own any MTH G scale but it's had great reviews. It will be 53" long and operate on R3 curves (whatever that means).
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

MTH has a Clinchfield Challenger out now. A very impressive engine.