G scale track help

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by CSX, Oct 19, 2005.

1. CSX

CSX Member

I am getting close to laying down the rails of my garden railway, but first, I have two questions. Question number one, what overall is the best brand of track to use? LGB, Aristo-Craft, or Bachmann? Question number 2, what do I use to make the tracks ready for the hot and cold months? Thanks in advance for all who help me out!
  2. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

I am using Aristo-Craft track and having no problems with it. It has been on the ground since August and seems to be holding up well. I still need to do some leveling and ballasting. The track is just resting on top of a weed barrier cloth and some mulch. My biggest problem is that I need a better transformer. I am using the one that with our Bachmann Rocky Mountain Express set and while it is a good transformer for a small run track it is performing so well with the longer run we have in the garden.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Tom - You need one of those 5 amp power supplys :)

CSX - I read somewhere that all you have to remember is to leave a small (1/16"??) gap at all the rail joiners for expansion and contraction. But look around the internet - somewhere there are guides to doing outdoor layouts.
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Aristo-Craft, it is as goog as the other but cheaper.
  5. CSX

CSX Member

That's another thing I wanted to know. What size/brand/kind of transformer do I need for 50-100 feet of track?
  6. N Gauger

7. N Gauger

oops - I forgot.. :) You'll need cab controls with that too - It's only a regulated power supply...
  8. CSX

CSX Member

$100 + shipping for power!! Geez!! This isn't cheap to operate!! Are there any cheaper power supplies?

Also, what is the minimum track diameter needed for Bachmann's steam locomotives?
  9. N Gauger

Usually Ships:
    Back Ordered
    WST Part Num:
    Mfg. Part Num:
    Sold By:
    Our Price:

$59.99 -- That's what's on that link :)

Yeah - I paid $74.00 for mine 3 years ago :( :(

My 4 power supplies (Lights & other trians) plus the 3 cab walk-a-rounds and the wireless walkaround are about $400.00 total :( ... for an 12 X 8 layout - 3 levels and a bunch of lights.....
  10. N Gauger

$400.00 just for the power... Geeze - I'm glad the wife never looks in here :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  11. CSX

CSX Member

$100 includes the control too.
  12. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Tahat is cheap...look at O gauge.

You could use a car battery :D
  13. CSX

CSX Member

Hahaha. No thanks on the car battery. :D
  14. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Check out Trainworld. Their prices seem to be very good. I have purchased several G-scale buildings and all the Aristo-Craft Track from them.

I am also looking at them for a power pack. Nothing fancy right now. No walk arounds. That is the last thing my son needs is the be able to follow the train. We don't call him the Drexel Hill Destructor for nothing. Also we have enough trouble keeping track of remotes in this house.
  15. CSX

CSX Member

I am definatly buying track from TrainWorld. I am also planning to buy 6 ore cars from them. Their customer service is awful, but they have great prices.
  16. Danny

Danny Member

Here in sub tropical Queensland, Australia. I am using a mix of Aristocraft, LGB and Australian Flex Track all in Brass, has been down now for three and a half years, no deteriation at all, if I run weekly, no cleaning required, if I do not run for a few weeks, then I must walk around the track with my home made cleaning blocvk on a broom handle.
    Do not use Bachmann track outside, it will rust almost immediately, strictly for indoor use only, great around the Christmas Tree!
    While Bachmann 4-6-0 locomotives will traverse two foot radius (four foot diameter) curves, go as big as will fit in you area, many newer locomotives require large curves. My main line is 16 foot diameter, and my branch lines are 8 foot diameter,most curved track is Aristocraft pre curved. In January Aristocraft always have a track sale.
    Have fun with Large Scale, I know I am. :wave:
  17. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

As far as I've been able to find out, LGB code 332 rail is the strongest, and the toughest, of the tracks on the market. It is also the most expensive of the brass tracks. Aristo, and USA, run a "close" second. There is also stainless, and nickel silver, but you will probably have to hock the wife, kids, and, the dog, to buy it.

Large Scale trains are "not" your typical Ho trains. they are BIG, and as such use alot more current. Just the locos by themselves are bigger, and heavier, than a typical whole Ho train. You can run 5 or 6, or more, Ho trains on the current requirements of one large scale locomotive. Power costs.

As has been stated before, use the largest curves you can. I will add, get the biggest power source you can. It costs more, but you will not regret it later. Garden railroads are like mold. Unless you are "VERY" careful, they will grow everytime you turn your back. I started out planning on just having a small loop with one loco. NOT, it has turned into 13 locos at present, and about 40 cars. I've ended up going to DCC with sound, and boosters, over 400' of track, more than a dozen structures, and I don't know how many points. This hobby is addictive, but one hell of a lot better than alcohol or drugs,,,,,,and cheaper , too!!

Whatever way you go, welcome to large scale, and enjoy!!!
  18. Do Urquhart

Do Urquhart New Member

I am using almost all Aristo track, 493 feet of it. Much has been down for as much as 5 years. No weather problems. The stuff I had to junk when I had to widen curves, add "Rail-Jaws", buy new power supply, install wider swithes did prove very costly.

1. After several years the LGB track Brass turns a dark, dark brown.
    Aristo track turns a very realistic rust tan.
    2. Unlike CSX, that puts in a speed reduction in hot weather, "G" track floats on the ballast and is free to expand and contract. (If using "Rail-Jaw" or Clamps)
    3. Trash the track connectors and replace them with "Rail-Jaws" or "Hillman Clamps". This will be expensive but will maintain track voltage.
    4. If you ever plan to expand your intrest in "G", plan ahead-- MINIMUM R3 (8 ft Dia.) curves and #6 switches.
    5. I use Brass track and am happy with it, but some use Stainless Steel and like it better, check into it.
    6. I you ever think you will go to Digital radio control (DCC, DCS) you should consider the "Electronic" (often called switching) power supply. Not cheep, but a good investment ($140).
  19. kadidle

kadidle Member

I just built a power supply for a friend using a PC power supply, 450 watt supply $45. All I had to do was put a load on the 5v line so that the PS would turn on. 12v at 10 amp... If it's an ATX PS, you need to put a switch on the PS-ON line.
  20. CaseyJonesII

CaseyJonesII New Member

Best Track

I likie Aristo track. I use a 1-72 tap and drill and tap every joint, using LGB graphite at the joiners. It allows for expansion and contraction and I have never had a open rail joint. I had 400' of track and only one set of leads to the track. Good luck