G scale = 1:6 ??

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by silvester10528, Mar 17, 2006.

1. silvester10528

silvester10528 New Member

I don't normally do scale railroad, but I was wondering how close G-Scale comes to 1/6th scale...

Also, if a person were to layout a set of tracks, that run in a semi-straight line, how would they power it?
  2. jetrock

jetrock Member

Not very close at all. There are several scales people model using LGB track, ranging from 1:20.3 scale (three-foot narrow gauge) to 1:32 (standard gauge.)

To power track, attach wires from powerpack to track. ;)
  3. silvester10528

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there is a production scale model train that is close to 1/6th?
  4. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That would be a live-steam/ride-on scale, and bigger than most. I believe 1:8 is typical for that.
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Livesteam and/or ride on scale gets extraordinarily expensive though. A 1:12 (1 inch to the foot) scale powered loco can set you back anywhere from US$8,000 and up... 1:6 would be even bigger, and therefore more expensive... :eek: See (for example) http://www.ridingrailkits.com/ for the 1:12

Also, in scales that big, the rails do not provide the power. The locomotive itself is big enough to contain some sort of engine (either steam or internal combustion).

6. silvester10528

Thanks for all the info.

I was asking because I participate in a 1/6th scale R/C group the does tank combat using paintball markers as turret guns (http://www.rctankcombat.com/) and someone was wondering about making a railway gun.

So I figured I'd go right to the source for decent info.

I think if people in our group actually go this route, they would only be going to exterior appearance of the locomotives and forego a rail system all together because of the expense.

Again, thanks for all the info!!
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Railway guns were not made in large quantity, so you can't get many models of them even in the common modelling scales. In 1/6th, forget about it. :eek: :eek: That would have to be the most colossal scratchbuilding project I've ever heard of.
  8. silvester10528

Check out some of the stuff they are doing at http://www.rctankcombat.com/
    They are all for scratch building decent 1:6 (ish) scale stuff.

One guy has a Navarone Gun, not sure how accurate it is.

If any of us do it, we'll probably just use a base R/C power-train and no actual rails to mimic a locomotive and the cars will just be towed.
  9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That stuff's impressive, but not my thing. This is a very different type of modelling from model railroading. By the standards of our hobby, it's more like building "real" machines. But every hobby has its own standards... :D
  10. MasonJar

That sounds like a neat application of paint gun technology... working tanks! :cool:

You could build a railgun relatively easily - they would have been mounted on a heavy-duty type of flat car. If you are not overly worried about the exact details, I would recommend you find some pictures (if possible) and maybe buy an HO model or two to get some three-dimensional ideas. And then go from there...

Good luck!

11. silvester10528

There is a little on the net in the way of reference material concerning railguns.
    So it'll be tough, but not impossible.

I've got a train store near my office where they are mostly helpful, so I can always make a run over there at lunch to answer my mental image questions.

The problem right now is coming up with a workable design for a locomotive and track system that sets up fats and easy on rough or even lightly broken terrain.
    Actual rail and cross-tie construction appears to be cost prohibitive and would require considerable set-up time.
    One idea we are considering is a paint/chaulk guide/center line.
    Another is plywood sheets with a narrow board tacked down as a center guide - these can be anchored with landscape nails and various lengths and curves can be preassembled pretty cheaply.
  12. MasonJar

Depending on whether you find some solution to making the railgun operational (in a railroad sense) you may not need too much track. You might be able to rig a section for it to sit on from angle iron and redwood lumber...

13. jetrock

jetrock Member

Railroad guns were normally mounted on pretty big flatcars--like 80 footers--so a 1:6 model would be around 13-14 feet long! The "Dora" was mounted on a special carriage that required two parallel sets of tracks, which had 20 axles. The barrel was more than 32m long, and judging from the photographs the carriage would be close to that length--more like 15-20 feet. The barrel would also be about that length, and an 80cm barrel in 1:6 would be around 13cm--if anyone has access to a surplus 105mm howitzer, it might be fairly close in size! Railroad guns also required large support trains: several cars carrying ammunition, special cranes, cars for crew, and a couple of locomotives.

What would you use a railroad cannon for in the context of an RC 1:6 tank battle? Railroad guns were used for army-level artillery support, and usually operated from 20-30 miles behind the front lines to bombard particularly large and heavy things like massive military fortifications or entire cities. You certainly couldn't hit a small moving object like a tank with one--to quote Guderian, "Fire at, certainly but not hit."

So, essentially, you're looking at investing in equipment that will be on the order of several large automobiles in size, MINIMUM. Most of the equipment, in 1:6 scale, will be around 10-15 feet long, and those will be dwarfed by the gun itself. Seems like a large investment for what will essentially be a static prop--a railroad gun ABSOLUTELY COULD NOT be used in a static point defense role--just loading a round (not including aiming and firing) took 45 minutes!

Acquiring a 105mm howitzer, and using it to lob smoke rounds into the playing field, would probably be a much easier and simpler solution than building that sort of monster project...

14. jetrock

jetrock Member

In doing a bit more homework, the "Dora" is probably a bad example, as it was the biggest railway gun ever built--it would be a bit like one of your group building a "Maus" (or a "Ratte.")

A more typical railway gun would be the K-5 Leopold, aka "Anzio Annie," a 280mm gun, with a total overall length of 31.1 meters--again, around 100 feet long, or 14 or so feet long in 1:6 scale. From the look of the photos, the gun would be around two or three feet high, maybe 24"-30" wide, and the aforementioned 14 feet long. You are still faced with the inability of the weapon to be used at anything like the tank scale you are using--except maybe to launch quart buckets of paint at high trajectories over the battlefield to simulate the effects of a 280mm railroad gun shell.
  15. silvester10528

I think our group would end up foregoing the 1:6 scale issue and targetting something around a length of 36 inches... or what ever it took to scale the railgun muzzle to a paintball marker muzzle.

It's really just a side ideal that one or two of us might eventually try for giggles...
  16. jetrock

jetrock Member

There are 1:35 models of railroad guns (try eBay) that would actually work pretty well--like this one:

This model is about three feet long--and at 1:35 scale, a fairly close match to 1:32 scale "standard gauge" equipment running on G Gauge track. At least from what I have seen on the website, this is a hobby that depends on lots of do-it-yourself improvisation. You could, quite reasonably, build such a gun, using a couple pairs of "G" scale trucks and a loop of G track, pulled by a locomotive, at 1:32 scale that would be around 3-4 feet long and have a barrel comparable in size to a paintball gun with a loooong barrel. Prototypical railroad guns could adjust elevation but not windage--to aim, you literally had to move the gun around a curve. Which is where the remote-controlled G scale locomotive comes into the equation--use the loco to push or pull the railroad gun to point in the desired direction, adjust elevation on the gun, and FIRE!!!