G Gauge track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hawkeye2, Jan 5, 2003.

1. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

Is there anyone out there who has used Gargraves G track on their layout? I am concerned about tracking, traction, and derailments as it has a round cross section rail head rather than the more normal flat top rail section. I know that most toy O runs on round top rail quite well but their wheels were designed to from the begining. I will be using Bachman equipment with modifications for better tracking. The Gargraves track with stainless rails and UV stabilized plastic ties would seem to be the best choice for low maintenance outside track and I feel that the problem of stainless's low conductivity can be overcome with buss wires.

Thank you
  2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Hawkeye, I haven't used the Gargrave track so can't offer an opinion on it. I do recommend Aristocraft brass track. I've found you don't need a buss, the rail size is such that power drop is not a factor. Track cleaning will be achore either way. I wonder about the round cross section rails ability to withstand being stepped on, I have no problem with the Aristocraft.

3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I don't have any experience with Gargraves G gauge track either. I do know that the O and S gauge track is hollow tin-plate or stainless steel. I would suspect that the G is the same. In looking at their web page, they gave no indication if it was hollow or not. As Gary said, Aristocraft is solid brass, which in my mind is a better track. Let us know what you end up with.

4. hawkeye2

hawkeye2 New Member

Gargraves track is "hollow", similar to Lionel O. I have had some experience with Gargraves S gauge track and it is pretty tough, far stronger than regular tinplate. I am attracted by the fact that they offer flex track, though their S track was not very flexable, took a lot to bend it.
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

You aren't kidding their S gauge track is not very flexible. I did find that is soldered fairly easy though. Weather it and ballast made it look pretty good to, especially on modulus with O gauge and G gauge that weren't dressed up. Did you come up with a decision about using Gargraves? Have you gotten a chance to see how round or flat the rail head is? One good thing about Gargraves is their use of UV resistant plastic.

6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I've been under the impression that Aristocraft and LGB track are UV resistant as well. Am I wrong?
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Gary, IIRC the track from LGB is UV resistant, but beyond that I'm not sure. Since I don't have the yard to do G gauge, I haven't looked into track recently. Years ago, there wasn't much choice and UV resistant was just about unheard of. I became really aware of UV problems in track when I started looking into track for O gauge layouts to go outside.

Greg Elems
  8. pcentral

pcentral Member

LGB and Aristocraft track as well as USA trains all design their track for outdoor use so I am sure it is UV resistant. I have not heard of Gargraves G gauge track, but if it the same construction as their O, S and Standard gauge track it is a poor choice for outdoor use. While it may look good it does bend very easily.I have never had the problems with tinplate track like I have had with the Gargraves. I have some Gargraves on my O gauge modules that has not held up too well. A friend of mine has it on his S modules and he has had some problems with dents also. The Los Angeles County Fairgrounds has a large G gauge layout with LGB and Aristocraft track that has been in operation for years with no problems. As for conductivity, use rail clamps with brass track and a couple feeders depending on layout size. I have a track cleaning car (I recommend everyone get or make one) and a drywall pole sander that keeps my track clean.Steve