G gauge questions

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Collyn, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Collyn

Collyn Member

I was thinking of starting a garden layout and was looking at the track. What is the difference bettween European and us styles? And, do they have brass g gauge flex track. Are the locos in the starter sets good quality? Lastley what company is best and is there one to stay away from.
  2. Collyn

Collyn Member

anybody, anybody? goining to the LHS sunday
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I can't help you a whole lot on garden RRing, but here is some input. An indoor atrium at a pediatric clinic. It needed 2 tracks for 2 places, one is 4 X 12 and the other 4 X 15. Believe me 4' diameter is MINIMUM. I got 2 Aristocraft starter sets, Rogers 2-4-2, and an LGB 2-4-0. They run most all day, every day, 5 1/2 days a week. The LGB gave up first and has been to the LGB repair shop for 12 weeks or more. The other Aristocraft took its place and is still going strong. I then got 2 Li'l Eggliners from Aristocraft, and those short wheelbase go like there is no end. Small as they are, still pull 3-4 cars.

Now, on larger curves, like 8-10' diameter, maybe LGB would be best?????? I am limited to the 4', so I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do for you.

Hopefully this will give you a little insight.

P.S. The Aristocraft starter sets (loco, tender, and 2 cars) cost $100 ea plus shipping. The LGB loco cost $200 by itself.
  4. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

This is all hearsay from others on the Classic Toy Trains Forum and old threads on The Gauge. I have never owned any G equipment.

The LGB or Aristocraft brass track holds up far better outside than any other trainset stuff. Bachmann track ties are not treated for UV exposure (a must for Colorado sunshine!). Aluminum rail, although cheaper, corrodes worse than brass. Nickel silver or stainless steel rail is best, and is available in flexible track, but from 3rd party G track makers. I would pick up an issue of Garden Railroading (or whatever its called) to get the advertisers index and other hints.

Given the mostly low humidity of your part of Colorado, brass track may not oxidize too badly, making your track cleaning chores reasonable. Track cleaning is the bane of garden railroading, which is why some have gone to self-contained battery power with radio control. Besides more than the normal inside dirt and dust, you get to deal with poop, twigs, leaves, etc. You do have the advantage that the heavier G scale equipment will polish off the oxide on the rails a lot faster than in the smaller scales.

my thoughts, your choices
  5. Collyn

Collyn Member

this is for tennessee where my dad lives so the sun isn't as big a problem but moister is
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Garden Railway magazine, published by the same folks who publish Model
    Railroader magazine. On the subject of problems with outdoor railroading, I saw a picture of a frog that was wiped out by a G gauge train. Poor thing.
  7. paceway

paceway New Member

The difference is that European track has different size and spacing on the ties (sleepers in the UK).

I use code 250 aluminum rail spiked to Cedar ties I cut myself and they are great. The aluminum does oxidize like most other metals, but aluminum oxide is an elactrical conductor as good as the rail. The other problem folks complain about is soldering, all that takes is the right tools and a little practice. I make my own turnouts also.

I have ploped an engine down after six weeks of the Florida sun & rain and they run good with out touching the track.

I do Love Aluminium rail, and I can afford it. So far so good...
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

eeeewwww.... That was a picture I didn't need in my head.
    Of course, you saw the actual picture so I can imagine how it must have been for you. :(
  9. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

I would recommend the Aristo-Craft brass US track. We have had in our garden now for two years. One winter and half of a winter (if you can call it that here in the Philadelphia area) and have not had any major problems. The trains ran well in the spring with almost no problems after the track was out all last winter. I did have some problems with some ties popping off. Not sure why they did that.