G gauge O gauge Newbie Questions Please Help

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Foamer01, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Foamer01

Foamer01 New Member

I have been lurking around this forum and have decided that I am undecided. I want to suspend a track around my Barber Shop to keep little hands off so a layout at floor level is NOT an option. My room is aprox 14 X 20 and I want just a single track oval. I have drop ceiling at 9' and the wood ceiling at 10'. So here goes a bunch of questions.
    1- Would you mount hangers to the suspended ceiling or design a hanger to attach to the wood ceiling above?
    2- While HO is very available and rather inexpensive I think at that height it would be hard to see well. I am thinking more about G or O gauge
    3- If one went with O gauge if I am understanding this right would it be best to go with three rail lionel as it looks like this is more availble or would two rail be just fine?
    4- G gauge, I notice there is G or LGB. Is the track size the same or is it different? What would be a nice choice for track in an indooor office? Can you interchange G or LGB on the same track.
    5- For myself and the kids that come in my shop I want sound whistle, bracks, chug etc. What is the best way and most economical wy to achive this?
    Thanks for your help
  2. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

1. I would attached to the wood supports as opposed to the metal framing from the drop ceiling, simply for more support.

2. I would go with 3 rail O guage like Lionel or MTH, I think more variety is avaliable in 3 rail.

3. As far as I know G is the guage and LGB is a manufacturer, this would also make a nice ceiling layout, although a little more expensive than O gauge.

4. Sound equipped locomotives are available with chugging, brake squeal, cab chatter, whistle etc. but be prepared to spend upwards of 300.00 for the locomotive.

Again , these are just my opinions based on my experience.

My local grocery has a G gauge steam engine with 3-4 cars and caboose running above the check out area and it looks good and the kids love it. But there is no sound other than the engine running.
  3. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

I'd recommend G Scale, just for the size, 45 mm between rails vs. 32 mm for O gauge. G scale makes for a much more impressive display for the kids.

There are many manufactures other than LGB which specialize in American style trains. Aristocraft and USA Trains are a couple.

There is a thread on suspended rail. Check out http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=6108

There are also manufactures of suspended rail systems to do exactly what you want to do. I did a Google search and came up with this site http://www.locoboose.com/, but I know there are others.
  4. Foamer01

Foamer01 New Member

So it is safe to assume that if I go with G gauge track I will be able to run any G gauge engine on this track?
  5. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

Yes any G scale train, I beleive that Aristocraft also manufactures a hanging system...
  6. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

I run my G gauge outside and I have Lionel(0-4-0), Aristocraft FA1 & FB1 (both powered), and I have a MTH Dash 8 (with sound). I run them all on my track. My son also has an old New Brite set that I picked up cheap form a friend, it too runs on this track.
    I recomend G gauge since it will be overhead and a lot better to see from the floor.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Matt M.
  7. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

8. Foamer01

Foamer01 New Member

Thank you guys very much for excellent ideas, information, and web links. It is very much appreciated. I will keep the board posted on progress. It will be a while as I am just in the planning stages. Thanks again