G.E.C's weathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by green_elite_cab, Jul 8, 2007.

1. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I don't like to leave my equipment nice and shiny all the time. alot of it has dirt, rust, and other grime all over it. at the same time, i also model commuter trains, and even outside commuter trains, i always bump into the same problem:

How do i "dust" a model? I mean, look at this U23B for example-

and now here is a picture of my weathered model of the same locomotive

yeah, its trucks and pilots are dirty and rusty, but that easy enough to do. if anything, i can probably systematically add more rust to the trucks and pilots, no big deal. the radiators are alittle tougher, as well as the exhaust (especially since my airbrush is out of commission), but i still drybrush some grimy black all over.

the problem for me is the rest of the locomotive. those spots on it that don't have the big rust streaks, most of the nose, and the cab, and the long hood lack any real smudges. on a the model, its still nice fresh conrail blue, but in the pictures, its faded, but not so horribly faded, if you know what i'm saying. How do i achieve this look? that look of age, but without blemishes?

The same goes for my commuter trains. few of them gleam like they are new, but none of the prototypes, save one or two pictures of some of my U34CHs, have any real rust or grime stains. at the same time, they look dirty some how.

look at this GP40FH-2. its far from "new", but where is the weathering? on a model, would it be safer to simply let it gleam?

I hope i'm making sense to you guys, with all this "phantom weathering and stuff".

thanks for your advice.
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

g_e_c, i know what you are talking about:winki: . you could try this to achieve that look:
    1- TAPE UP THE WINDOWS, take a similar color to what you want to paint, super thin it out, i mean REAL THIN, then airbrush it on till it comes to the look you like:winki: .
    OR....2- TAPE UP THE WINDOWS, use a gray, and do the SAME as i mentioned above:winki: .
    ....OR....wait and see what others have to say about it:winki: :119: .
    :deano: -Deano
  3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Dean is right: Get some blue that's close to the colour of your loco. Your best bet is "Conrail Blue" from whoever makes the paint that you usually use. This may or may not be the exact same colour as your loco: you can use it "as is" or add a bit of white or light grey to it, then thin it severely. I like about 10% paint and 90% thinner, but you can use even less paint and more thinner. Set your airbrush to spray a fine pattern, and don't hold it too close to the loco, then make fairly rapid passes. This should give a light misting that tones down the starkness of the white lettering on the dark background, without being too obvious itself. Don't belabour this too much: a couple of passes to be sure to hit all areas, then have a look at it on your layout. It's very easy to over-do this technique, and almost impossible to undo. :-D
    Here's a reefer that's getting a similar treatment: the two panels at the end of the car have been overspayed, while the panel next to the cardboard mask is the base colour. The mask is being used to impart a slight shadow effect between panels, not something you'd want on a diesel, but the overspray technique does show how subtle this should be.