G.E.C's layout pictures

MilesWestern

As for the accidents, maybe running your trains slower? How about the net thing? Dange about the yard, it'd be a perfect place to store your engines and cars too...maybe a FOLD-DOWN version for when it's not in use?

BRNX (Brown Leasing Corporation) Is open, you can take that, Brown Leasing is a company I made up for you.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
well here is the deal with the SEPTA incidents.

apperently a pair of the coaches are bad. one axle on one truck of one car innexplicably rises up over the rails. this without fail causes derailments, but i kept trying to tune it up and run it with the other 5 cars, and just when it seemed to work, something went wrong. the SEPTA train felt heavy to push as well.

this problematic SEPTA car was behind the cab car, with the AEM7 pushing very slowly, although at higher power. It had made it through the curves, but apperently it either derailed or got caught on something, because the train made a large jerk. the AEM7 and the car in front of it (this car gives no problems) was just coming out of the curve past that oil tank you see in my pictures, passing in front of the industrial area. the rear car was shooved off by the AEM7 pushing the train. first the car went over, and some how remained coupled to the AEM7 (you'd think its slip out of the knuckles). I think a combination of the locomotive's "momentum" (the wheels will spin for about a second or so after loosing power) and coach pulling it dragged it over the edge. when you look at the spot where it derailed from, its kinda odd.

I ran all the other SEPTA cars, minus the problem car, reight behind my ALP44 with the rest of my NJ transit cars, and the train not only ran, but ran beautifully. the locomotive only slowed in few spots, because the rails need to be cleaned. I was able to run at speed to, not just a slow push at full power.

since the AEM7 and ALP44 models are identical save a few details, I'm starting to think that this SEPTA car is the main problem. I'm also suspecting the AEM7 may have had some issues to, but i'll never know.

I do not think speed is an issue here. I'm pretty sure this is a result of faulty equipment. I know i've been running my NJ transit trains top speed all the time. the only other time i've had a derailment go off the edge of my layout was when a freight train shooved my Acela Express over the edge when it derailed.

I don't know what to do about the car. I have more underbodies, but they are old ones that are warped, that had originally came with the cars. i used some undecorated models as spare parts to replace these, but i'm out now, and i have no spaire straight underbodies. I'm also going to have to inspect the trucks to find the problem. i'm pretty sure they are getting hung up on the coupler assemblies, and the wheels are rubbing the underbody. this doesn't happen on any of my other models.

I think the tracks may need some sort of work to. I might replace problem spots with flex track... but i'm not sure i want to be ripping up track sections and unsettling other parts, since everything is built on sectional track.

save these recent SEPTA Issues, my trains have been operating great. the only other operations problem i'm having is with a new Athearn RTR GP38-2, but i haven't inspected it yet, so more on that later. since i have enough freight cars to actually run the railroad, i've been doing some switching, and my only complaint is that i wished i could uncouple things without touching it (i ballasted already in some spots, so i might not be able to put in track magnets...)

after i get all this parts mess out of the way, i'm going to buy decoders for my fleet, and see if i can't make a few changes to my layout. I'm thinking of adding a grade crossing. initially i didn't want to do this, but with the new walthers overhead flashers, i think i changed my mind. i'm just sad that i might need to pull up some grass. maybe i can transplant the ground foam, lol.

BRNX sounds cool. my family business is Brown Diesel Works ( only marine diesels though, no trains). i might go with BDWX.

I'm going to staple some screening around the edges like a fence wherer ever things get to close. I'd really rather not build anything on the sides. If only i could build a detachable back drop, that would add like, another 6 or so inches so that it looks like the other side of the tracks has some scenery.

My yard is to small to store things. You ought see how they are stored now, lol. I really wish i could make an addition. I might go more for a freight line though than more NJ transit stuff. I love commuter equipment, but its so big and all exactly the same at this point. i need to get something that has double stacks and such.

CNWman

CNW Fan
green_elite_cab said:
well here is the deal with the SEPTA incidents.

apperently a pair of the coaches are bad. one axle on one truck of one car innexplicably rises up over the rails. this without fail causes derailments, but i kept trying to tune it up and run it with the other 5 cars, and just when it seemed to work, something went wrong.

*thinks hard on your problem in the following ways: aussie hamr wall1 train97 fence1,and yes:stooges8 * Well, how 'bout you put the bad coaches onto the side and have it look like they're being worked on, how's that for an idea?:D

^That is a good idea!^

I really like that idea, maybe detail them out to have little people all around them and put them on tracks that don't have power so any locomotives that accidently get sent that way stop before they reach the coaches?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
no space for things like that on my layout. i'm going to start trying to repair the AEM7 over spring break, now that i have had time to think about it. i'm going to fin a plastic rod to replace the marker light that was damaged, and i'm going to try to re-bend the pilot back to where it is supposed to be. if that does work, i'll shave parts of it off so that its flat, and then rebuild it with modeler's puddy. oter details will simply be re glued in place without trouble.

the motor still runs, and all the lights and such are working, it is only the trucks that ned repair. the little pins that hold them in place are sheared away, and so i will jjust make new pins.

Failing that, i have an idea. I may find anoither AEM7, but i also might hunt and undecorated ALP44 on Ebay. SEPTA owned one ALP44 (I have a picture of it but i don't know its history). it might be fun to recreate that unusual unit. I just have to make sure that this is the last of the SEPTA for me, lol. I model northern New Jersey right around New York City, not South Easten Pennsylvania, although that could fly, lol.

I can't believe this is on the second page! Let's keep the pics coming!

GEC, your layout is unbelievable and the trains you've got running are just adding to that. Don't stop posting pics now!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I won't, but its tough. I am not able to readily take pictures of my trains, since there is no real good light source. for most of mypictures, i still my sister's lamp, which is bad because its also coming apart, and i really can't continue to use it. My other bright lights have either literally exploded ( the plant light i was using originally in the first pictures of that page got so hot it melted through the wires a week after those pictures were taken).

except for the lamp, there has been no good lights to use that i have found. without good light, trains don't look nice at all, and the pictures get grainy.

I'll see what i can dig up

right now i'm making stand in catenary towers until i can get some model memories in the house. there won't be any wires, just rough bridges.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I'm going to start posting a series of pictures of operations on my layout soon, to fill out your request

I have the first part on my computer, but i need to edit the pcitures alittle, and i have 55 i need to weed through. I'll get it up sometime tommorow, since i have no school and no homework.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Im going bowling tonite, paintballing over the weekend, go-carting on Monday or Tuesday and that is only the first 4 days!! YAY lol

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah, my weekend is alright. i have work tommorow, but my cousin is coming on monday and staying for the week, and i might be going to Six flags Great Adventure, while simultaneously getting my scout master review for scouts.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Here is Part 1 of operating my layout

7868 and 3401 idle in the yard, while 4167 pick up passengers early in the morning.

modelrailroadoperationsys1.jpg

modelrailroadoperationskd5.jpg

7868 and 3401 crawl out of the yard to go pick up hoppers on the interchange.

modelrailroadoperationsur2.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsjp7.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsty6.jpg

The pair back up to the interchange track, and 3401 uncouples to pick up the cars.

modelrailroadoperationsix2.jpg

modelrailroadoperationshx0.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsfw0.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsyl9.jpg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
7868 waits as 3401 backs up to it

modelrailroadoperationsbr9.jpg

now that they are coupled, they move back towards the yard. 7868 will push the hoppers to an open track, then will recouple with 3401, and begin to assemble their train

modelrailroadoperationsgj2.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsni3.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsji3.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsnl4.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsgr2.jpg

roster shot of 7868 moving back to couple with 3401

modelrailroadoperationstz1.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsxd9.jpg

modelrailroadoperationsij7.jpg

Part 2 on Sunday!

modelrailroadoperationspu0.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
sweet pics

I like that last one, nice rails.

Nice job on the weathering of the engines and rolling stock to :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
thanks guys. I've been placing woodland Scenics people on my layout today, so my layout is becoming more populated. I've also begun work detailing my Norfolk Southern GP38-2.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah... I've got nothing done, lol. I repaired a few locomotives and such, but i haven't done anything on the layout in a while. Hopefully that will change soon.