G.E.C's layout pictures

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Another change I made just recently was to move my American hardware supply away from the tanker truck loading rack, giving me a few extra inches ( i would have moved it farther, but my loading area "runs out", because i didn't pave under where there would be buildings to save some of the plaster). Finally, atleast smale trucks like Ford Cs can get in and out of there.

I'm also working on my E60MA. I've cut down more of the old C44-9W's die cast fuel tanks ( sorry, Deano, had to cut down my UP wings unit). I might take it to my work to get some big grinding done on it, unless i can cut more away with the dremel tool. Hopefully, the old plastic equipment area i cut from the original bachmann chassid can be better centered, so that the coupler pockets are even on each side. From then on i will follow this Conversion How-to to an E60MA, or atleast make an NJ transit E60CH: http://www.freewebs.com/marylindsayrr/rebuild%20projects/rebuildE60MA.html

more pictures soon

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
ALright, i don't have any pictures to upload, but Conrail 7868 just got a load of detail parts. i'm alos working on my SD40. i'll have pictures up hopefully before the weekend where i get to camp at lodge next to some tracks ( although the train only comes at 2 in the mornging, lol.

SWEET!

That Pennsy GG1 is classic. Gotta love the Escargots too. :cool:

Anyway, just one little observation... The station platform looks kind of naked without a track on both sides.. Maybe you can extend a stub track to the end of the platform. Makes for a good place to park a passenger train. :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah, It was only ever meant to be one sided. I'm thinking of adding liek a wood fence to one side, with billboards and things facing the passengers.

however, your suggestiong gives me an idea. I need ties! maybe i can makt it look like an abandoned track used to go on that side... I was also thinking about any of those LRVs available. They might be able to go onto the interchange, then switch back. I'd probably use an IHC one and paint it for NJ transit with my extra decals ( the IHP Hudson bergen would probably be more appropriate, but i'm not spendin $300 on that, lol!). however, that one track in there is really supposed to be my interchange, and i regular park greight cars there. another possibility could be a curved switch. Are there any on the market that have an outside radious of 22", yet will still allow my trains to pass through? there might be enough space for a small train ( ALP44/AEM7 with 2, maybe 3 cars). That could be interesting for push pulls trains and stuff to my other station.

I'll figure something out!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
well i just looked into it... if i can use a curved switch, I can back a short 2 car commuter train onto the other side.

If i wanted to go cazier i could replace the entire interchange with flex track as well, and exchange my 30 degree diamond for a single slip turnout.

the only thing that concernes me is radius, and wether or not passenger cars can go through it. It might work, but i'm not sure.

Attachments

• possible alteration (Small).JPG
    possible alteration (Small).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 282

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
SeanNEC said:
very nice. i really wish i could get my hands on septa commuter cars

I know decals are made for themm and i've seen the IHP silverliner kits go for $30 at a trainshow in philadelphia.

the walthers cars themselves are a rarity period. I don't even see them on Ebay. only the IHP products and the Atlas AEM7 seems to be common at all. It might be a better idea to get a hold of some undecorated versions of the horizon commuter coach cars and paint them up if you want a septa train.

SeanNEC

locating the loco isnt too bad for me but i cant even find undec horizon cars anymore just the amtrak phase III cafe car.

Also great looking layout. im in PA and modeling a similar style to you (keystone corridor)

Yea.. Doing a search at Walthers shows that the undec Horizon cars are "retired." I guess that means Walthers is discontinuing the undecs.

Well, at least the SEPTA Horizons are pretty straightforward to paint... Just grab any of the Horizons, strip it with ELO, shoot on a nice satiny layer of Platinum Mist, coat it with Crystal Cote, float on the SEPTA decals, seal it, and voila! :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
SeanNEC said:
locating the loco isnt too bad for me but i cant even find undec horizon cars anymore just the amtrak phase III cafe car.

Also great looking layout. im in PA and modeling a similar style to you (keystone corridor)

I had to buy the undecorated coaches of the amtrak version. I think the commuter cars undec version has been retired.

yeah i often debate about moving operatiosn to PA, because i have septa stuff, and a Philly didivsion 38 i'm working on, and most of my locomotives have been spotted there. but i think i'll stay in North Jersey for now!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
LongIslandTom said:
Yea.. Doing a search at Walthers shows that the undec Horizon cars are "retired." I guess that means Walthers is discontinuing the undecs.

Well, at least the SEPTA Horizons are pretty straightforward to paint... Just grab any of the Horizons, strip it with ELO, shoot on a nice satiny layer of Platinum Mist, coat it with Crystal Cote, float on the SEPTA decals, seal it, and voila! :thumb:

You can grabe IHP's correct style trucks if you get caught with the amtrak version. they are only about $20 a pair on IHP's ebay store. you'll find alot of other septa things there, but they cost alot. might be worth it, particularly the silver liners.

SeanNEC

i think 225 for 1 silverliner is a little pricey. also who makes septa graphics besides for the silverliners?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
There are some sets from Champs around, but Champs is out of business. I know there are SEPTA decals, but i can't imagine who makes them. I don't think Microscale does, but i could be wrong. I know IHP still sells them mail order for a reasonable non extreme price.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Yeah, i've just detailed my GP38, and i plan to add more details to it and my SD40 as i go along.

here are some pictures

gp38_001_edited_medium_649.jpg

gp38_014_edited_medium_124.jpg

gp38_005_edited_medium_159.jpg

gp38_013_edited_medium_188.jpg

The progress looks good!

I've always liked the classic Conrail scheme, with the simple Escargot logo.. The newer Conrail Quality logoes looks too complicated for my tastes. :p

UP SD40-2

g_e_c:wave:, VERY NICE!!!!:thumb: the details look GREAT!!:thumb: and the weathering is NICE TOO!!!:thumb: GOOD JOB!:D -Deano

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I'm going to put up a video of passenger trains on my layout as soon as i figure out MS movie maker, lol. I'll probably have it done today if all goes well.