FW190 D-9 GPM 11/2004

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bfam4t6, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

As I wait on the canopy for the B-17 i decided to start a kit that my girlfriend got me for Christmas. She's such a sweetheart.

It comes on 4 full color pages and two full pages to be glued to 1mm cardstock. It has a great detailed cockpit and moveable tail surfaces along with a removable cover on the machine guns. Detail, printing, and diagrams all look great to far.
  2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

3. billmcc

billmcc Member

Sounds like this model is more detailed than the Halinski FW-190.
  4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Bfam4t6,

have u alway assemble model directly from booklet without scan it first? i try 1 time with Halinski's Tornado Gr.1 and i lost that booklet due to my fault. that make me scan my booklet and print in cardstock before build :( and with only age 16 your skill is incredible more than your age.
  5. damraska

damraska Member

These two kits are about equally detailed, but in different ways. The Halinksi kit has a very detailed engine. The GPM kit includes a somewhat detailed gun bay in front of the cockpit. Both have movable control surfaces.

The GPM Fw 190D-9 offers good fit and builds up very well, but includes a few minor glitches. For example, the insides of the forward landing gear doors were not colored on my model, nor was the inside of the tail wheel well. The GPM Ta 152H-1 is the best fitting paper model I've built so far. I have yet to start the Halinski Fw 190A-8 so I cannot speak to fit issues. The production values of the Halinski kit meet or exceed those of the two GPM kits.

6. copertura

copertura New Member

Which glue do you use?

A simple question: which glue do you use for attaching the paper to cardboard?
    I mean, you must be able to glue large portions of paper not just strips or little parts.

7. damraska

damraska Member

Hi Nobi,

I have not scanned a model before starting it in two years, which certainly makes life interesting at times. In those two years I've lost exactly one kit--GPM's Me 262. It adds an element of danger to an otherwise safe hobby.

Disclaimer: I highly recommend creating a backup before starting any paper model, especially complicated ones. Too many things can go wrong, many of which the builder cannot control. For example, you may discover an undersized part, or a part without color, or an assembly that does not appear in the instructions. A backup allows you a second try at muffed subassemblies, the ability to fashion new parts, and the ability to fix problem parts.

8. damraska

damraska Member

Re: Which glue do you use?

For most purposes I use a white glue that dries clear, such as Aleene's Tacky Glue. Tacky glues work better than thinner varieties because they grab more quickly, allowing the builder to proceed at a faster pace than otherwise possible.

For sheets of parts that require cardboard backing you can use a spray adhesive or white glue. Spray adhesive allows you to mount many parts quickly, but when using this method I sometimes have problems with peeling. I look for acid free spray adhesives, usually found with scrapbooking supplies in craft stores. In most cases I use white glue to mount individual formers as I need them.

For attaching metal or plastic to paper I recommend a glue called "The Ultimate", found in craft stores. It starts white and dries clear, but behaves somewhat like chalk. It works way better than superglue type adhesives on clear plastic canopies and does not fog them.

9. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I, like Doug, use a spray adhesive to attatch paper to cardboard and I use tacky glue for the rest. I don't know if you can find the same brand in Italy but I use "Elmers brand spray adhesive". It works great. On the pictures above I had to peel off a sheet and reposition it so that all of the parts were backed with cardboard. Luckily i caught it quick so it peeled off great and stuck right bock on. I'm sure something very similar if not the same thing is available in Italy.

Regarding scanning my models, I do not. I have been wanting to scan them lately becuase I myself have messed up a few kits. I ruined the ModelArt F-15E from the get go and I made some pretty dumb mishaps with the Halinski Su-27. Luckily I may be able to heal the Su-27 when I have some time. Anyways...I don't really know what to do as far as a scanner. I do have a few kits that desperately need to be recolored before i build them, but I don't have a scanner. I have been wanting to buy one, but I don't have very much money right now. Does anybody know if youc an get a good scanner that can scan 11"x17" pages for less than $200? I need one of this size becuase I have several Fly Model kits that I dare not touch until they are backed up and some recolored simply because of their rarity and price. For now I'm just shopping around but eventually I will need one.
  10. Brent

Brent New Member

Dustin, I have just finished building this kit and there are a few fit problems. Part #6 is not big enough to go around the formers. If you look real close at the pictures of the built model you can see that the builder had this problem as well. Under the #18 and the black cross you can see 2 black panel lines where there should only be one. It looks like another piece was grafted on. Thats how I fixed it, but I had a scanner. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. It does make a great looking aircraft. Good luck,
  11. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I appreciate the heads up Brent. I guess i'll see what i can come up with to fix this when the time comes. I might just add a white strip and use water colors to match it.
  12. Tonino

Tonino Member

Italian adhesives

Ciao Copertura,

I'm happy to find some other guy here who lives near me (ok I'm not right in Italy but... almost) because one of my problems, looking the posts here in cardmodels.net, is the difficulty to compare the brands other members use with the ones I'm actually able to find in Italy (ok, ok, San Marino... but it's easier to me to take a walk to Italy to do some shopping :D )

As for the spray glue, the only one I've found is the one produced by 3M. It is absolutely too much expensive and it comes in a "repositionable" variety that, I think, is useless for our purposes (the parts are not joined permanently) and a "permanent" that doesn't admit mistakes. I've never found other spray glues in the shops where I've searched.
    I also don't know of a product similar to tacky glue, that, seems to be, should be a "must" for a cardmodeler. If you find some product that you think can be of the same kind please let me know. (strange to talk to you in English, isn't it?).

What about a "comparative table" of the products sold in various nations? Something like the one about future wax you can see here (even if the only nation not mentioned there is right Italy). Who has an idea about how we can collect the data for its realization?

13. Vjatchy

Vjatchy New Member

14. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

with an HP 4670 you could scan each page in two parts, and re-assemble them digitally.
  15. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Doug, I looked at your build of this kit on your site and didn't notice any gaps or extra seems in piece 6 which is the rear section of the fuselage just before the tail pieces. Did you have the problem that Brent mentioned?
  16. damraska

damraska Member

Argh. I built that kit almost two years ago and cannot remember any specific problems with the fusalage skins. I remember thinking, at the time, it was a great kit because everything fit well. On the other hand, I consider a bit of nip and tuck part of the building process and tend to ignore minor errors when I write about a model. I'm sorry I cannot offer more help.

17. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I understand. I tend to think nothing of a few little errors myself, becuase I usually just assume it was me and not the kit. :lol:
  18. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

This scanner would be ok for very simple graphics, but anything with a wide color range, like photos, or weathered model graphics are going to be captured very poorly.

The description say "24 or 32bit" color, which says '8bits/channel, but we'll fake it for the sake of TWAIN compatibility' to me. This machine will produce badly quantized images, it just doesn't have the color depth to capture a convincing image.

That being said, at $135, I might get one myself. :)
  19. tino

tino Member

I have build the Me 262 and it also have some minor fit problems.
    The Me 262 have a very limited diagrams, but Swinger translate the instructions for me and the final result is a very beautifull model.
  20. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I have finished the internal fuselage formers. This is the most complex way of using formers in a fuselage that I have built so far. You can probably tell that the pieces are just slid into slots to be held in place. Looking at my other kits from GPM, this seems to be how most of their kits are put together. Also, the model can be built with moveable or fixed tail surfaces and flaps. I have chosen to build the more complicated design for the moveable rudder and the rest of the tail surfaces. The next step will be the machine guns.