Future LTA Aircraft

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by TheHeebrewHammer, Jun 9, 2009.

1. TheHeebrewHammer

TheHeebrewHammer New Member

I came across some really cool looking futuristic Lighter-Than-Air (LTA) aircraft that might inspire some one to attempt to convert to paper models.

Here is Aeros Aeronautical Systems' Aeroscraft ML866.
    The Aeroscraft ML866 is a combination blimp and plane which can take off vertically and fly similar to a plane by using the small wings. Most of the lift is provided by the helium inside. Inside it will have 5000 square feet of space which makes it fairly large to transport goods and passengers around. It will be capable of flying 155mph which is no where near the speed of a plane, but yet seriously fast for a huge inflatable.

A prototype of the beast should be ready in 2010.
    More pics here. http://www.gizmag.com/go/8132/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Manned Cloud by French designer Jean-Marie Massaud.
    The whale-shaped airship, developed with French national aerospace research body ONERA, will be able to accommodate 40 guests and have a range of 5,000 km. More info here.
    http://www.dezeen.com/2008/01/10/manned-cloud-by-jean-marie-massaud/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advanced Technologies Group SkyCat Hybrid Air Vehicle, United Kingdom.
    The vehicle will be built in three variants (Skycat 20, SkyCat 200 and SkyCat 1000) with payload capacities from 20,000kg to one million kg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turtle Airship designs.
    [​IMG]

Millenium Airships
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lockheed Martin P-791 (actual working vehicle)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strato Cruiser Luxury Blimp
    [​IMG]
  2. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Does anyone know anything about the "secret" military blimp? Its mentioned now and then on TV and on the net.

For what little its worth, my wife and I saw one (we think) south of Deming, NM in the early spring of 1996. We had just seen the weather on TV and there was a bank of clouds south of us, but north of the US/Mexico border, so we knew that it was north of the border, maybe 20 miles away. A long cigar-shaped silver shape with no details visible to us.

And, no, it wasn't the aerostat, which was clearly visible to us. [The aerostat was (is?) a fixed blimp-like balloon that carried radar transponders to scan the border for illegal traffic across the desert (there wasn't even a barbed-wire fence separating the two countries!)]

Bob, the blueeyed bear
  3. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

The version I'm thinking of turned up in an early 1996 Popular Science (Jan, Feb, or Mar). Was supposed to be a long triangular craft with all kinds of capabilities for warfare, and included a moving "star field" on the belly that would match the star pattern above the craft!

The size and shape of what we saw was much like the PopSci craft viewed from the side. Does anyone know whether the military actually conceived of such an LTA craft, or was the article pure fiction?

Other wise, any guesses on what we saw? Long, slender cigar shape, not at all like a conventional blimp. Shiny silver. Since it was between 10 and 25 miles away, I won't venture a guess about size, except it was big!

Bob
  5. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

BeB, did you try FAS.org? Federation of American Scientists is big on posting any "secret" thing they can find.
    Yogi
  6. mordrake69

mordrake69 mordrake69

i love the airships ,wish they would go into an active role in passenger air lines
  7. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for these photos! I've actually been thinking about what I'd design once I get back from vacation, and the stratocruiser seems perfect! I'll link to the build forum when I start it.

@Blue Eyed Bear: What you saw was most likely a lenticular cloud in the shadows of another, larger cloud. Due to the angle of which you were viewing coupled with the dark shadow, it would have given you the illusion of a cigar-shaped gov't blimp.
    But now I digress to Arthur C. Clarke's humorous explanation of the loch ness monster: A rhinosaurus floating upside down in the water, holding a french baguette with a turtle hanging on the tip of the baguette.