Future contests, looking for suggestions

ezdays

Out AZ way
announce1 announce1Yeah, that's right, let's hear from you all about what you'd like to see as the next few photo Contests, as well as the fall challenge coming up. We want to hear from you, so I'll make this promise, we will pick the next contest and the next challenge from your suggestions. :thumb: We will also keep any other suggestions in mind for future contests as well.

If you have any ideas, if you think we need to do something different, nows the time to speak up. Remember, if you don't, you have no cause to complain later.:p :p

Pooh Bah
I put this up before: Vacation pictures. Railway pictures you took away from your home town. Or a picture of the LPBs on your layout going on vacation.

MilesWestern

Well, I suggest we keep the Scratchbuild Challenge as a Running theme perhaps every Spring/Fall? I'd be a great outlet for all of our creativity, and it's something that doesn't cost the fellow modelers alot of money (usually just a trip to the parts box..) I Highly reccommend another SCRATCHBUILD CHALLENGE! :)

-I also second the Idea of a Trackplan contest...but with strict guidelines, like MR's running theme of the 12'X12' spare bedroom concept.

-60103..I wish I went on a train-related vacation in my lifetime..I just havent. :cry: That sounds fun too. :)

Nomad

Well, I suggest we keep the Scratchbuild Challenge as a Running theme perhaps every Spring/Fall? I'd be a great outlet for all of our creativity, and it's something that doesn't cost the fellow modelers alot of money (usually just a trip to the parts box..) I Highly reccommend another SCRATCHBUILD CHALLENGE! :)

-I also second the Idea of a Trackplan contest...but with strict guidelines, like MR's running theme of the 12'X12' spare bedroom concept.

-60103..I wish I went on a train-related vacation in my lifetime..I just havent. :cry: That sounds fun too. :)

There are numerous request for help with track plans, so I was thinking of up to a 12x12. If the plans were different sizes there would be more options for people to choose from for ideas.:idea:

Loren

Jac's Lines

I'd like to suggest a "square foot" or "sheet of paper" challenge, where entrants are given free reign to do whatever they want/can in a space of 12"x12" or 8/5"x11", either on a layout or as a stand alone diorama. Certain minimum standard could be set: for example, each entry must include a minimum of 8" of track, one structure, some vertical landscaping, etc. This would give almost unlimited opportunities for participation, could allow people who are inclined to try a different scale than what they're used to doing, and would be inclusive of those who may not have a layout going. This could be scaled down or up for people working in different scales (so an N scale 6"x6" challenge, an HO scale 12"x12" challenge, and an O scale 24"x24" challenge, more or less).

One thing I'd also like to throw out on the challenges is that they maybe be run not as contests. I know that there's something to be said for having a winner at the end of the challenge. On the other hand, a non-competitive challenge (where the "challenge" is the deadline and whatever rules are set up) might draw out more participants with a wider variety of skills. This, of course, is coming from the guy who pulled up second in the scratchbuild challenge....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This would be similar to the old Gauge parties (could those be resurrected?) but different in the sense that everyone is working on a project with similar basic parameters.

Just my .02.

-Joe

Bones

You know, one thing that limits a lot of projects is money.

Maybe we could try a cheap challenge like one of the following:
"Parts box challenge" - Build a train related structure, industrial equipment, locomotive, caboose, or super detail a scene by using only spare parts.

"$5 Scratchbuild" - Build anything you want, but every part must be accounted for. The total cost of all parts must not exceed $5, including left overs from other projects.

"Boy Scout Challenge" - Anyone that spent time in the Scouting program probably experienced the fun projects where you are given a bag or box of miscellaneous items. You have to create a diorama, scene, or working mechanical device. Total cost is usually under $2 for all the pieces, and it really is fun to see what people come up with. Using generic items also makes it easy to scale to each person's demands. You can use and modify any, or all of the items. You cannot add anything not included, besides trees, brush, grass, dirt, glue, paint, etc.
For example:
1 straight drinking straw
2 plastic coated wire-ties
2 foil gum wrappers
5 wooden match sticks
12" sewing thread
1 piece 9x11.5" construction paper
2 plastic bottle caps
1 block of wood 1x1x2"
1 empty 355 mL Aluminum drink can

It's amazing to see how imaginative people can be with a random assortment of 'trash'.

I would also like to see what unconventional ideas other members have.

slekjr

how about using the spurs all these plastic parts are attached to for a model of something? I've thrown many away and always wished I could have the imagination to do something with them
Charliesign1

N

nachoman

how about a "cereal board" model contest?

Create a model using only "cereal board", glue, and paint. Maybe allow small amounts of things like brass wire - but no commercial detail parts.

Kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Hey, keep em coming :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:.... Wow, we've got some great ideas here, several of which won't cost much to do. :thumb: :thumb:

As I said, and I know Mikey will agree to this, we will pick our next photo contest and our next challenge from these ideas, and the rest we will keep on file to use in the future.

I'm really excited about the response here, let's hear what other ideas and wishes are floating around.
:excited1::joust1::rofl:

C

Catt

I like the track plan idea,but I'd like to challenge the track planners to take a HO 4'X8' and convert it to a 4'X8' N scale plan.NO Downsizing make it 4'X8' but N scale from a published or posted online.

Staying on the same set of tracks how about point to point room size switching layout plans that could be adaptable to several scales and room sizes,but say with a room size limit of no more than 12'X12'.maybe even done for several different eras.

Next idea,(bored yet?) Jacs sheet of paper diorama (ya know us N scalers call that TTRAK :mrgreen:)

OK,I'll shut now-------------------------------for a little while anyway.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I like Charlie's ideas about creative use of plastic sprues...and its not just because I like to use them...er...creatively! :)

Really good suggestions from everyone else above too. I'm seeing cool contests in our future!
Ralph

Pooh Bah
How about a "typo" contest? ends April 1?
Make up your own, but this month's RMC suggested the phrase "shingle-sheathed boxcar".
There have been a few other doozies over the years at the Gauge.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just in case anyone forgot about this, we are still open for suggestions. The next photo contest will come from one of the suggestions in this thread, so now's your chance to be heard.:needpics:

Biased turkey

I'd like to suggest a "square foot" or "sheet of paper" challenge, where entrants are given free reign to do whatever they want/can in a space of 12"x12" or 8/5"x11", either on a layout or as a stand alone diorama. Certain minimum standard could be set: for example, each entry must include a minimum of 8" of track, one structure, some vertical landscaping, etc. This would give almost unlimited opportunities for participation, could allow people who are inclined to try a different scale than what they're used to doing, and would be inclusive of those who may not have a layout going. This could be scaled down or up for people working in different scales (so an N scale 6"x6" challenge, an HO scale 12"x12" challenge, and an O scale 24"x24" challenge, more or less).

One thing I'd also like to throw out on the challenges is that they maybe be run not as contests. I know that there's something to be said for having a winner at the end of the challenge. On the other hand, a non-competitive challenge (where the "challenge" is the deadline and whatever rules are set up) might draw out more participants with a wider variety of skills. This, of course, is coming from the guy who pulled up second in the scratchbuild challenge....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This would be similar to the old Gauge parties (could those be resurrected?) but different in the sense that everyone is working on a project with similar basic parameters.

Just my .02.

-Joe

I like the idea, something like a layout in a shoebox?
Small Layout Scrapbook
Wouldn't it be an unfair hijack to carendt.us site ? I have a moral dilemma here .

A micro layout is by definition 4 square feet ( could be limited to 2 square feet for N scale ).
The Brits excel with that kind of layout.