Functioning Buckeye Trucks

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
These trucks were part of a treasure trove my father picked up a year or so ago. He actually thought they full of junk only...but a term of purchase for an atlas he wanted. We were quite surprised to find a bunch of neat stuff in the box...and auctioned the "junk" to someone that was even happier than we were with the find.

These buckey trucks are sprung and they are hinged in the middle like real ones. I know that these are a major pain in real life...my father has dealt with them under the 765's tender and the Birmingham shops replaced the 611's buckeye trucks with commonwealth trucks.

They were under a Varney tender to an SP 4-8-2 that had been extremely well kitbashed from a Varney pacific.

Attachments

• DSCF3426.JPG
    DSCF3426.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF3427.JPG
    DSCF3427.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF3428.JPG
    DSCF3428.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF3429.JPG
    DSCF3429.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 116

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
My 1953 Varney catalogue doesn't list a Buckeye truck, sprung or otherwise, although they did offer an unsprung 6 wheel Commonwealth tender truck. The Bowser Buckeye trucks also appear to be unsprung. For some reason, I keep thinking that I've seen trucks similar to yours, and they were made by Athearn. I dunno about that one. :rolleyes: If you're curious, you could pm Ray Marinaccio, as he'd probably know the manufacturer.

Wayne

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Sprung Buckeye Trucks

The sprung Buckeye trucks are Athearn trucks. Athearn sold them seperately in small white cardboard boxes about the same size as match boxes. As I recall the price was about $1.50 printed on the box. I purchased several pairs back in the early 1960s. I later used one pair on my Athearn crane, replacing the unsprung, but metal trucks that were used on their kits by late 1960s. I do caution you not to twist the trucks more than necessary to articulate them. The metal on one pair was much to brittle and I recently destroyed a pair by flexing it a little too much.

-Ed Acosta

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Penn-Line buckeye trucks

Penn Line , which was later acquired by Bowser made an all
metal sprung Buckeye truck. They were part of the 'I-1' Hippo
kits I bought in 1957 for the massive "Coast to Coast" tender
that they were sold with. I am not sure if they were the
appropriate truck for these tenders or not. Regardless, they
were there , and are very nice units.
Good-Luck, PJB

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
pjb said:
Penn Line , which was later acquired by Bowser made an all
metal sprung Buckeye truck. They were part of the 'I-1' Hippo
kits I bought in 1957 for the massive "Coast to Coast" tender
that they were sold with. I am not sure if they were the
appropriate truck for these tenders or not. Regardless, they
were there , and are very nice units.
Good-Luck, PJB

Bowser now offers the coast-to-coast tender with the more correct 8-wheel Commonwealth-style trucks.

Wayne

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Thank you for the info. I thought I'd share since I'd never seen something quite like those before. I wish there were more products like those available.