Fun With Funnels, or The Smoke Stack Dilemma

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So here I am, happy as a clam, merrily building my Roundhouse Climax engine model, when to my surprise! The model comes with five different smoke stacks!! (Are they called funnels on trains as well as boats?) :eek:

So now I have the simplest decision to make and I can't make up my mind. So I thought I'd see what other people thought.

I have the choice of five smoke stacks. Which one would you choose? Or which is your favorite smoke stack?

My wife likes #3, but what does SHE know about trains? (The Clown ducks but not fast enough!)
...........................OUCH!!! :(

Ok, here is #1, your classic toot:

Attachments

• funnel 1.jpg
    funnel 1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 190

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
TC, if your Climax is gonna be a coal burner, then #1 or 2 would be ok. But if it's a wood burner, 3,4 or 5 are the right choice.

The diamond stacks are spark arrestors. In the widened portion a fine wire mesh held back glowing wood particles. The speed of the exhaust blast was reduced by the larger diameter - the bigger the diameter, the better the spark arresting... (And after all, the logging companies wanted to log the woods, not to burn them! :eek: :D)

Now the Congdon stack #5 obviously doesn't fit the lokey at all, or you'd have to change the second MDC-choice and fit a smaller headlight. (There is more than one headlight included, right?) Big diamond #4 is a tight fit, too!

Believe it or not - I'll help your wife and opt also for #3. :cool:

But if you still don't like #3, just relax: I won't start throwing things at you - Switzerland is so far off from Canada that I probably wouldn't hit you anyway. :D :D :D

Ron

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
TC
If your going to burn wood in your new loco I would go with #3.
If you want to move the headlight #4 Would be my 2nd choice.
Or paint #1, 2 and 3 and interchange them once in a while.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by RailRon
TC, if your Climax is gonna be a coal burner, then #1 or 2 would be ok. But if it's a wood burner, 3,4 or 5 are the right choice.

The diamond stacks are spark arrestors. In the widened portion a fine wire mesh held back glowing wood particles. The speed of the exhaust blast was reduced by the larger diameter - the bigger the diameter, the better the spark arresting... (And after all, the logging companies wanted to log the woods, not to burn them! :eek: :D)

Ron

Thanks Ron. Did not know that - you learn something new every day (at least at the Gauge) ;)

I had assumed that it was simply an advance in technology, since there were a lot of the diamond stacks in the 1800s, but fewer in the 1900s.

Andrew

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
My vote goes to # 3 just because I think it looks like it fits best, so there.:D I don't have enough knowledge to make a fine analysis like our esteemed panel,but I know what I like.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the input, lads.

The funnel be in the building. ;)

Well, what can I say? I like #3 too. So #3 it is. (TC's wife grins).

I'm going to put #4 on my Life Like Iron Horse 0-4-0 and I'm going to put #5 on the big Climax I'm building from scratch. I found a loco shell almost identical to the Iron Horse in the junk I bought at the train show and that will give me the perfect boiler for my project.

Onwards and upwards!

Thanks again,

TrainClown