Full Circle

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Colonel_Klink, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink New Member

Just found this forum yesterday and I'm impressed :smile:
    I got my first card model when I was about 10 years old. It was a farmyard (manufacturer's name lost) and I remember trying to stick the thing together with a flour and water paste mix.. not very successful.

Later I made a few Superquick models, then decided scratchbuilding was a good option as I could then make localised buildings.
    I went through a non modelling period (dating, boozing, military service, marriage and raising a family), then the early 80s decided to revisit the modelling scene by scratchuilding a number of buildings.

These were drawn by hand until 1987 when I bought an Atari computer.
    The first attempts were fairly rudimentary but I was encouraged when some local railway enthusiaists offered to buy all I could produce. This led to a book of a dozen or so plans (line drawings really) that the user could photocoy and reproduce.

I sold a small number of books, but gave the modeling away when I learned how to create virtual 3D models. For the past four years I have been modelling for Operation Flashpoint, and more recently VBS1.

A friend recently asked if I'd make some HO models, so using the texturing experience gained with the 3D modeling I've embarked on card modeling once more.

With the advances of computer technology, and a good digital camera the modeling making has taken on a new meaning.

Currently I'm working on a number of HO and N gauge structures that will be available in the next few months. My son is helping me create an interface that will allow printing of the plans, and will eventually handle recoloring as well as some window and door placement options. Probably presets until we can get the object placement working from a library of doors and windows.

The biggest challenge at the moment is getting screen and printer output matched, which I presume is an ongoing concern considering every computer and screen combination will be different.

Anyway it is heartening to see like-minded people sharing ideas. :)
  2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Welcome to the site. I'm in aw of your considerable experience.

Two mediums produce whats called different color gamuts. The best way to get the desired color is to print it out and see what you get. Each has their weakness. RGB (computer screen) does lousy orange. KYMC(printer) does lousy purple and so so orange. So if you want exact match avoid purple.

I think sometimes though that we are so accustomed to the KYMC gamut that we seldom see intense purple or intense orange

I'm saving my money for an Epson 8 color printer which has a wider gammut and is the closest or archiaval quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.