From weeds to trees

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I wasn't sure which forum would be best for this but since I told some folk's who asked for this little "how I did it" that it would be here, This is where I'm putting it.
Hum.. Mabey we do need a "How To" category.

I use a weed that grows abundantly around this area. The plant is tall and stalky. This time year (late fall and winter) it's just right for making a tree out of it. I snap of only the tips and then de-seed it and remove what stems won't look right.
Here is a pic of the plant before pruening and clean up.

BTW if any body knows what this weed is pipe up as I don't.

Attachments

• weed1f.jpg
    weed1f.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 283

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Next I tear off small bits of Woodland Scenic Poly Fiber and make it fluffy and put it on the "limbs" keeping the Poly Fiber very see through and airy is how I like it.

Attachments

• weed2f.jpg
    weed2f.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 293

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
once I've got the Fiber where I want it I mist on some hair spray. At this point it's best not to touch the Fiber or it will mash down and loose it's nice airy look.
Then it's just a matter of sprinkling Woodland Scenics foam. I start with a darker fine ground foam (turf) hit it again with the hair spray then add a lighter colour of coarser foam. Hit it again with the spray and finish with some more fine stuff. Then a last mist of spray to fix it all in place.

I won't go into the last step I do as I don't feel that the "little people" who may be reading should try it. It's a bit dodgie for me:D

t

Attachments

• weed3f.jpg
    weed3f.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 278

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi T, excellent looking trees my friend, I also would like to know what that Weed is Always think when scenery is started how better it looks when some trees are added.
Shamus

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by t. alexander
I won't go into the last step I do as I don't feel that the "little people" who may be reading should try it. It's a bit dodgie for me:D

t

Geez, what do you use for a final coat, napalm or something?!?:D

Hey, you got bigger and better weeds around your place than I do. I have to contend with being limited to a prototypical 20' height.:( The only big weeds one finds in the desert are of the tumbleweed variety, and they're nothing but a big collection of stickers...

Guess I have to go on a weed hunt out of state. I can just see it now:

Police Officer: "What the heck are you doing out here?"
Me: "Looking for weed. It's my hobby..."
Police Officer: "Well, I got a new hobby for you that involves the stamping of rectangular pieces of metal..."
Me: "Cool, rivet punching?..."
Police Officer: "Yeah, there's going to be lots of punching, all right... Come along now..."
:D :D :D :D

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Thanks Shamus. Your right the trees bring it all to life. Now if I can make a decent Pine like yours with out killing it again I'll be doing good:D

:D Tom, When the arresting officer asks the chief which cell to put you in, his reply may be " Humm.. put him in with the nut we caught hanging of the trestle who claimed he was just taking pictures of creosote stains. They ought to get along fine." :eek: :D

t.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, If there's still some left could you post a pic of that weed with the leaves on it? I got a chart with pictures that shows about a "scadzillion" types of weeds that grow in GA. :eek: and most of them are growing in my yard:D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Vic
Hi T, If there's still some left could you post a pic of that weed with the leaves on it? I got a chart with pictures that shows about a "scadzillion" types of weeds that grow in GA. :eek: and most of them are growing in my yard:D :D

Vic my friend, if you find a Zillion of them, parcel a few up for me.:D

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Paul, To be sure my friend...If I find a zillion of them you will certainly have some:D :D :D ....better yet maybe I'll send you a packet of seeds to grow yer own!!!:D :D :D That's what Bob Browne of NG&SLG does with the Pride of Maderia plants that he uses for trees!!!:cool: Maybe T will take pity and mail us both some:D :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Tom, I gave up envelope stuffing this past Tues. when the State of Florida shut down the Psyhic Hotlines. I assumed all of the phone #'s and now every one gets billed $3.95 just for dailing a wrong #:D :D :D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
t.

I am keeping track of how you did your work on the trees as I have a bunch to make soon. You, Tyson and Shamus all have great ideas and techniques for making the trees

I just "harvested" a shopping bag full of Sedge blooms from a single plant in my daughter-in-law's garden. It was pooring rain and they are now in the garage drying but I see a forest in the making.

BTW do you use a preservative of some sort on your "weeds" to keep them from decaying. I have heard of using a mix of Glycerine and something else but have not found what the the "else" is:( (maybe Errol's malt mix:D )

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi David
Other than what sealent properties the hair spray has , no.

But the plant is dead when I get it so if it's not in the elements I'm thinking it should be fine.

Bwt, As I mentioned the plant is tall 3' to 5' in hieght and tapers as it goes up and appears that the "trunk" thickness would work for any scale.

t.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey T, You "harvested" a couple of more hand fulls today along some tracks".
Did you get permission?:D:D:D

David,

a shopping bag full of Sedge blooms from a single plant, what this Sedge Bloom, show me a photo PLEASE.

Shamus
wink.gif

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Shamus,

Here is a quick shot of a few of the blooms that I got over the weekend. They still have not totally dried but I used them anyway. The flower head is a bluish-lavender in the fall and turned this dark brown almost overnight as soon as the evenings got cool. i don't know the temperature hardiness of the flower.

Attachments

• dsc00006.jpg
    dsc00006.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 115

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I, um I mean my friend Ernie, used to grow some weed, and funny, it didn't help the layout at all, that is until burnt, then man, did it come alive!

Hey, t., could you e-mail me the last step :) if it's not too long to type? You send it once, I'll forward it to any of us oldsters :)

Sedge, sage??? Is that a spice? If it's the spice, maybe that will lead Shamus to finding it, whereever the heck you buy spice seeds???

Shamus, if you running out of trees, you might try laying off a few of those plastic people! 4 gandy dancers are out of work here in the US, and I can tell you proffits are soaring. Less overhead. We replaced them with machines. Personally, I don't miss those two I laid off. Not team players. Always wanting to unionize and oshatize us outa business!:D :D :D